What is cardispan?
To highlight: This food supplement is made by the company namedLABORATORIOS GROSSMAN, S. A. (1)
What is cardispan for?
- The cardispan® is composed of carnitine, an amino acid whose function isto transport fatty acids into the mitochondriaand thereby ensure the supply of sufficient energy for our body to function properly.
- It is used to treat:
- Primary levocarnitine deficiency resulting in cardiomyopathies, myopathies, inborn errors ofmetabolismand muscular dystrophy.
- Secondary levocarnitine deficiency, caused by its lack of organic synthesis.
- Deficiency due to malnutrition due to poor assimilation of food.
- Some metabolic diseases such as obesity, diabetesmellitus andweight control. (2)
- Carnitine deficiency due to chronic renal failure.
- Hyperammonemic encephalopathy and/or hepatic alterations, due to valproic acid toxicity.
- Patients requiring prophylaxis, because they receive valproic acid with risk of hepatotoxicity.
- Patients with muscular ailments. (3)
Dosage and routes of administration of cardispan
cardispan® is usually sold in chewable tablets with 1 g of l-carnitine; Injectable Solution in a box of 5 ampoules with 1 g of levocarnitine each ampoule; 30% oral solution in 60 ml bottle and 10% pediatric solution in 60 ml and 120 ml bottles.
On the other hand, the route of administration is according to its presentation, being oral, intramuscular or intravenous and the informative dose can be as follows:
- Adults and children:The recommended standard dose is 50 mg/kg of weight per day, which can be increased according to need up to a maximum of 100 mg/kg. In children, half the dose indicated in adults is used.
Cardispan Side Effects
Therapeutic treatment with cardispan® can cause some of the following adverse effects in certain patients :
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Vomiting , diarrhea and upset stomach.
- Fever , gastritis , abdominal pain and bad body odor.
Important: If any of these symptoms appear or another not included in the list, please stop its consumption and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of cardispan
Treatment with cardispan® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the food supplement.
You should know: Give your doctor all the information about your health history, before starting treatment with cardispan®.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to carnitine or sucrose.
- It is recommended that this dietary supplement be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
- Keep this product stored in a dry and cool place.