What is hydroxyzine?
Hydroxyzine is a synthetic medicine classified as an active ingredient with anxiolytic and antihistamine effect, which is used to balance certain emotional disorders in thecentral nervous system (CNS) and control the symptoms of some allergic reactions. (1)
What is hydroxyzine for?
- Hydroxyzine is a chemical compound thatacts by suppressingneurotransmitteractivity in places of the subcortical area of the CNS and in turn has action on the body asa bronchodilator, antispasmodic, antihistamine, analgesic and antiemetic.
- It is used to treat:
Hydroxyzine dosage and routes of administration
Hydroxyzine is marketed in10 mg and 25 mg tabletsin boxes with different amounts. The route of administration is oral and the dose for informational purposes is as follows:
- Adults: In cases of anxiety50 mg / day in 3 doses. Severe cases up to 300 mg/day. In case of pruritus 25 mg before sleep, followed by 25 mg 3 to 4 times a day. The maximum single dose is 200 mg and the maximum daily dose is 300 mg.
- Children over 6 years of age: In case of pruritus1-2 mg/kg/dayin divided doses, as directed by the doctor. For preoperative sedation single dose of 1 mg/kg, at least one hour before surgery and may be taken additionally 1 mg/kg in the evening before surgery.
What products contain hydroxyzine?
Some of the medicines that contain hydroxyzine are:
- Atarax® is a synthetic medication, which belongs to a class of compounds called diphenylmethanes and which contains hydroxyzine as the active ingredient.
- This drug is used to treat symptoms of mental disorders, as well as having antihistamine and antiemetic properties.
- If you want to know more about the atarax®, see What is the atarax and what is it for? .
- Akiskam® is a synthetically produced compound whose active ingredient is hydroxyzine.
- It is used in the symptomatic treatment of anxiety in adults, as well as the symptomatic treatment of itching and urticaria.
- Execut® is a synthetically manufactured pharmaceutical product that contains hydroxyzine as an active ingredient.
- It is indicated to control states of mild and moderate anxiety, generalized anxiety crisis, stress, nervousness, restlessness and irritability.
- Torefega® is an anti-allergy medication that contains hydroxyzine as an active ingredient in its formulation.
- This drug is indicated to treat states of stress , nervousness, restlessness, as well as mild and moderate anxiety.
Hydroxyzine Side Effects
The use of hydroxyzine can cause in certain people , some of the following side effects:
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Episodes of tachycardia and hypotension, prolonged QT.
- Pruritus, maculopapular rash, urticaria and dermatitis .
- Stevens Johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme, acute exanthema, angioneurotic edema.
- Dry mouth, constipation and vomiting .
- Drowsiness, dizziness, insomnia , depression and irritability.
- Impaired liver function, bronchospasm.
- Risk of convulsions and/or muscle tremors.
Important: Please stop using this medication and notify your doctor if any of these symptoms or other symptoms not listed occur during treatment with hydroxyzine.
Contraindications and Warnings of Hydroxyzine
Treatment with hydroxyzine is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the formula’s components.
- Patients with hypersensitivity to cetirizine , piperazine derivatives, aminophylline or ethylenediamine.
- Children under 6 years old.
- Patients suffering from porphyria.
- People who are under CNS depressant medication.
- During the period of pregnancy or breastfeeding.
To highlight: Provide all the information that your doctor requires about your health history, before starting treatment with hydroxyzine.
Avoid if you have:
- History of QT interval prolongation.
- History of hypersensitivity to the components of the formula or to other drugs such as cetirizine.
- Hydroxyzine must be administered with a prescription or medical prescription.
- Consult your doctor if you are being treated with other medicines for other pathologies.
- Drugs such as hydroxyzine should be administered with caution in patients with renal or hepatic insufficiency.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
- Keep this drug stored in a cool, dry place.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.