What is terramycin for?
- Due to its active compound called oxytetracycline(2), terramycin® is an antibiotic whose mechanism of action isto inhibit the synthesis of bacterial proteinssuch as gram-positive,gram-negativeand microorganisms such as mycoplasmas, spirochetes, chlamydiaand rickettsias, preventing their reproduction.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of terramycin
The dose and routes of administration of terramycin® will depend on the pathology to be treated, in the following ways:
- In ointment or ointment: With content of 10 g in tube for eye infections, a small amountof the ointment is applied to the conjunctival sac of the affected eye three to four times a day, the duration of treatment is until healing is complete. (5)
- In capsules of 250 and 500 mg: For infections caused bycocci and gram-positiveandgram-negative bacilli, both aerobic and anaerobic, the dose should beprescribed by a doctorafter evaluation.
Terramycin Side Effects
Treatment with terramycin® may cause some of the followingside effects in certain patients:
- Allergic reactions from contact with any component of this drug.
- hives,diarrhea and nausea.
- Esophageal ulcer, vomiting and abdominal inflammation.
- Hemolytic anemia and decreased appetite.
- Dermatitis , acne and hypertension.
- Dental enamel hypoplasia (deficient development of dental enamel).
You should know: If you observe any of these reactions during treatment with this drug, it is recommended to discontinue its use and consult with the treating physician.
Terramycin Contraindications and Warnings
Treatment with terramycin® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- In patients allergic or hypersensitive to tetracyclines.
- In patients with renal insufficiency.
- If you are consuming alcoholic beverages.
- If there is suspicion of pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
Avoid if you have:
- Medication with anticoagulants, first consult your doctor.
- Antibiotic medication such as penicillin.
- Terramycin® is a medication that must be used under medical supervision.
- This medicine must be sold with a prescription.
- It should be kept at a temperature between 15° and 30°C.
- It must be kept out of the reach of children.
- Do not consume the capsules in hours close to food (before or after).