What is calcort?
Calcort® is the name of amedical product of commercial line, whose active ingredient belongs to the group of glucocorticoids calleddeflazacort, which similarly toprednisonehasmostly anti-inflammatory characteristics.
Note: This drug is part of the medicines developed and distributed bySanofi laboratories. (1)
What is calcort for?
- Calcort® serves toreduce inflammationin a specific chain, where the accumulation of macrophages due to acid hydrolase enzymes is reduced, it is also an immunosuppressant to control the production of histamines, kininsand promotesthe level of lipocortins that properly handle prostaglandins involved in inflammatory processes. (2)
- It is used to treat:
- Rheumatic diseases (such as rheumatoid arthritis).
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (type of collagen diseases).
- Stevens-Johnson disease.
- Atopic dermatitis.
- Allergic rhinitis.
- Chronic hepatitis.
- Ulcerative colitis.
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura disease.
- Haematological diseases (such asanemia).
- Respiratory diseases (such as asthma). (3)
Dosage and routes of administration of calcort
Calcort® is found in the presentation of 20 tablets or 20 tablets, from 6 mg to 30 mg of the active principle, whose route of administration is oral. The most recommended doses of calcort® are the following:
- Adults: Administer 1 tablet of 6 mg or 30 mg at least 3 or 4 times a day maximum.
- Children: Use 1 tablet of 6 mg only 3 times a day without exceeding said dose.
Calcort Side Effects
Treatment with calcort® can bring with it a series of adverse effects that are mostly common, however if these reactions persist it is better to suspend its administrationin order to see a specialist doctor. The most frequent adverse effects are:
Contraindications and warnings of calcort
Calcort® is contraindicated in a certain population of patients, who may react negativelyduring treatment with this type of drug. Therefore, it is not recommended for these cases:
- Hypersensitivity to the chemical components of the formula.
- Peptic ulcer.
- Kidney affections.
Avoid if you have:
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Herpes zoster.
- Chicken pox.
- It is recommended to use the drug preferably under a medical prescription.
- The medicine should be kept in a dry environment.
- It is advisable to monitor the doses in patients who use antihypertensive drugs.
- The drug should be used with caution in the presence of mycosis.