Pain represents a very important sign for the clinician. In this sense, non-steroidal anti -inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are the most prescribed analgesics worldwide to relieve pain and fever .
For this reason, in the following article we will talk about a specific analgesic medication , metamizole sodium , detailing its mechanism of action, indications and contraindications.
What is metamizole sodium?
Sodium metamizole is an NSAID, that is, an analgesic from the same family as acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). In general terms, they all share the same mechanism of action, what differentiates them is the degree of effectiveness in each one.
It should be noted that metamizole sodium is marketed under the name of dipyrone ® and comes in presentations of 250 and 500 mg tablets, 50 mg/1 ml oral drops, 1g/2 ml injectable solution and 250 mg suppositories. Therefore, the route of administration of metamizole sodium is oral, parenteral and rectal.
What is metamizole sodium used for?
Sodium metamizole, like any analgesic, reduces pain and other associated signs such as fever and swelling. Next, we will describe its most frequent uses:
1. Severe, post-traumatic and surgical pain
The analgesic effect of metamizole sodium for pain relief is comparable to that of low doses of opioids (for example , morphine ). In addition, the risk of developing gastrointestinal ulcers is lower than that of aspirin.
Important: In children, the dose of metamizole sodium varies according to the age group. In children from 1 to 14 years, it is 5-8 mg/kg every 6 hours intravenously. In adults, the dose can reach up to 2 g/8-12 h .
Colicky pain can become unbearable, as is the case with pyelonephritis (kidney infection). In this sense, the pain is produced by the painful contraction of the smooth muscle , in response to the inflammatory substances released.
To highlight: Analgesics, antipyretics and antispasmodics such as metamizole sodium are the first line in these cases. In children older than 7 years, the oral dosage is up to 2 ml (1 ml equals 500 mg metamizole).
3. High fever
Fever is a manifest nonspecific sign in a large number of pathologies . In children, fever is usually an indication of infectious processes. Therefore, in children, a dose of metamizole sodium of 10 mg/kg orally has had positive effects. (two)
metamizole sodium side effects
NSAIDs such as metamizole sodium are excellent treatments for pain and fever, but each one has pharmacological characteristics that increase the risk of certain adverse effects , such as those that we will see below:
- Hypersensitivity reactions, such as hives.
- Erosion of gastric tissue, especially in patients under high doses.
- Agranulocytosis (decreased bone marrow function).
- Hypotension (decreased blood pressure). It frequently occurs in critically ill patients (eg, hypovolemic shock). (3)
Important: In case of presenting any of the aforementioned side effects, it is necessary to discontinue the use of metamizole sodium and seek medical attention for more information.
Contraindications of metamizole sodium
Despite the fact that the active substance metamizole sodium is very well tolerated by the vast majority of patients, there are groups that should not receive the medication . Next, we will mention the most frequent contraindications:
- Known hypersensitivity to metamizole sodium.
- Asthma due to non-opioid analgesics, such as aspirin intolerance.
- Diseases that alter hematopoietic function (production of blood cells).
- Patients with acute intermittent hepatic porphyria.
You should know: The doctor must be informed about the health conditions that are suffered , thus avoiding unwanted reactions and to receive more information about therapeutic alternatives.
- Sodium metamizole is a medication used to relieve acute pain related to pathologies or post-surgical conditions.
- Metamizol comes as tablets, oral drops, solution for injection, and suppositories, with oral, intravenous, and rectal routes of administration, respectively.
- Adverse effects of metamizole are very rare, including gastrointestinal lesions and blood disorders .
- Metamizole sodium is contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity or renal failure.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.