What is the proverb?
Provera® is a registered drug whose active ingredient is medroxyprogesterone acetate, which mainly provides antiestrogenic characteristics, being ideal for treatments in women in medical care for hormonal therapies and also serves as a contraceptive means.
Note: This drug is related to depo provera® (by injection) and belongs to the drug products manufactured commercially by Pfizer laboratories . (1)
What is proverb for?
- The active principle of medroxyprogesterone acetate in provera® is a direct derivative of the sex hormone progesterone , therefore, it is one of the progestin medicines or drugs that blocks the release of the ovum (that is, it inhibits the use of estrogens). ) in such a way that it prevents pregnancy , generates changes in the functions of the uterus, a different shape of the vaginal mucosa, decreases the presence of cortisol and prevents cancer cells from depending on female hormones (estrogen) to grow and multiply. (two)
- It is used to treat:
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
- Hormone therapy.
- Primary and secondary amenorrhea.
- Vasomotor symptoms of menopause.
Dosage and routes of administration of provera
The provera® has a unique presentation of medicine, in a box with a bubble pack that stores from 10 tablets to 24 tablets of 5 mg up to 10 mg of medroxyprogesterone, with an oral route of administration, unlike depo provera® (injection contraceptive ). The doses of provera® are as follows:
- Adults: The administration of 2.5 mg tablets up to 10 mg daily is recommended , for at least 5 days or 10 days (specifically for amenorrhea, uterine bleeding or hormonal therapies). You can also apply tablets of 10 mg up to 20 mg, for the same duration of treatment as your doctor estimates (for endometriosis or vasomotor symptoms).
provera side effects
Despite being a powerful drug, provera® can bring with it different adverse reactions that affect the central nervous system (CNS), the endocrine system, the immune system and even skin tissues. Therefore, the most common effects and the ones that have more information are the following:
- Acne .
- Difficulty breathing.
Important: If the side effects mentioned above are present and their duration is extended, it is advisable to suspend their administration and seek medical attention .
Provera contraindications and warnings
Provera® is contraindicated for many patients, in order to prevent negative interactions that could pose a risk with serious consequences . Therefore, it is not recommended in these cases:
- Hypersensitivity to the active ingredient.
- Pregnancy and lactation .
- Vaginal bleeding.
- Breast cancer or a history of it.
Avoid if you have:
- Liver dysfunction.
- Malignancy in the breasts or presence of lumps.
- Risk of stroke.
- Active arterial thromboembolic diseases.
- It is recommended to use this medicine under the prescription of a doctor.
- Keep this pharmaceutical product away from the reach of children and adolescents.
- This medication should be stored in a dry environment.