What is itopride?
Itoprideis a chemical compound classified as an active ingredient, which belongs to the line of prokinetic drugs with effect on the movement of the smooth muscles of the digestive system.
What is itopride for?
- Itopride, thanks to its mechanism of action, acts as an antagonist of dopaminergic receptors type D2, in addition to having selective inhibitor action on the enzyme acetylcholinesterase. This double actionhelps to treat intestinal motility problemsand their symptoms.
- It is used to treat:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), erosive and non-erosive.
- Acid-peptic disease.
- Postprandial malaise syndrome
- Epigastric pain syndrome.
- Idiopathic anddiabetic gastroparesis.
- Some cases of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), particularly in the variant ofconstipation.
- Bloating, anorexia, abdominal pain or discomfort from heartburn.
Dosage and routes of administration of itopride
Itopride as atablet of 50 mg. The route of administrationis oraland the dosage as a guideline may be as follows:
- Adults and children 12 years and older: 50 mg three times a day 30 minutes before meals.
What products contain itopride?
Some of the medicines that contain itopride are:
- Dagla® is a synthetic medication that uses itopride as the active ingredient.
- It is indicated to treat diseases related to intestinal motility .
- For more information on this medicine, see What is dagla and what is it used for? .
- Talnesis® contains itopride hydrochloride as an active ingredient , presented in 50 mg tablets.
- It is used for the treatment of dysmotility of the digestive tract.
- Lapriver® is a prokinetic drug, which uses itopride as its active ingredient.
- It is indicated for the treatment of digestive symptoms of chronic gastritis and non-ulcer dyspepsia.
- Anemet® is a chemical compound, with an effect on the movement of the muscles of the digestive system.
- It is indicated to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease and intestinal dysmotility.
side effects of itopride
Therapeutic treatment with itopride can cause some of the following side effects in certain patients :
- Possible reactions by contact with any component of the formula.
- Risk of leukocytopenia.
- Diarrhea , constipation, abdominal pain .
- Burning and itching.
- Headache and sleep disturbances .
Important: If any of these symptoms or other symptoms not described in the list appear during treatment with itopride, please stop using it and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of itopride
The use of itopride is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of its components.
- Patients with gastrointestinal bleeding and mechanical obstruction.
- Patients with intestinal perforation.
- Patients with hyperprolactinemia.
- In children under 12 years of age.
- During the pregnancy period.
- During the Breastfeeding
You should know: Give your doctor all the information about your health history , before starting treatment with this drug.
Avoid it if you have:
- History of allergies due to contact with any component of the itopride formulation.
- This medicine must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- This product should not be administered with anticholinergic drugs.
- In geriatric patients, strict medical surveillance is required.
- Keep this product out of the reach of children.