What is rosuvastatin?
Rosuvastatinis a synthetic drug and classified as an active ingredientby medical science, which belongs to the group of statins and hasa lipid-lowering effecton the body, which helps in reducing some important problems in the circulatory system and the cardiovascular system.
What is rosuvastatin for?
- Rosuvastatin is an inhibitor of the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which works as a drugto lower blood cholesterol levels. (1)
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of rosuvastatin
Rosuvastatin comesas 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg capsules. The administration is oral and the dose for informational purposes may be as follows:
- Adults: The recommended starting dose isone capsule of 10 mg per day, a dose that can be adjusted by the doctor depending on the levels of cholesterol present in the blood.
Note:For the rest of the populations ,the concentration to be used and the duration of the treatment areleft to the physician’s discretion .
What products contain rosuvastatin?
Some of the medicines that contain rosuvastatin are:
- Abemax® is a synthetic medication that contains rosuvastatin as the active ingredient and is presented in 5, 10, and 20 mg capsules.
- It is used to regulate high blood cholesterol levels.
- Alcotin® is a medication that uses rosuvastatin as the active ingredient, which comes in 10, 20, and 40 mg capsules.
- It is used to prevent cardiovascular diseases, due to high cholesterol levels.
- Crestor® is a medication made from rosuvastatin, which is presented in 10, 20 and 40 mg capsules.
- It is used as a supplement to diet and exercise, when these have no effect in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- Zenon® contains 10 mg rosuvastatin and 10 mg ezetimibe in each film-coated tablet. each coated tablet.
- It is indicated for the treatment of primary hypercholesterolemia or homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.
Rosuvastatin Side Effects
Rosuvastatin treatment may cause some of the following side effects in certain patients: in certain patients:
- Possible allergic reactions from contact with any component of the formula.
- Uncommon adverse effects such as elevated liver enzymes, liver failure, and rhabdomyolysis.
- Myalgia, constipation , asthenia, abdominal pain and nausea.
- Possible hepatitis or jaundice .
Important:Discontinue use and inform your doctor if any of these symptoms or any other symptoms not included in the list appearduring treatment with rosuvastatin .
Rosuvastatin Contraindications and Warnings
The use of rosuvastatin is contraindicated in any of the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the formula’s components.
- In patients with sepsis, severe infection, hypotension, dehydration and other severe pathological states.
- In patients with active liver disease.
- During pregnancy, lactation and in women of childbearing age who use contraceptives.
To highlight: Before starting treatment with rosuvastatin, it is advisable to provide all information about your your Health History to your doctor.
Avoid if you have:
- Decompensated hypothyroidism or renal failure.
- Cyclosporine treatment.
- Hereditary muscle disorders.
- This medicine must be administered with prescription or medical prescription.
- To improve the effects of this medicine, its consumption must be accompanied by a healthy lifestyle and proper hydration.
- Do not consume this drug with alcoholic beverages.
- Close medical supervision is recommended during treatment with rosuvastatin.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool dry place.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.