What is esomeprazole?
Esomeprazole is a type of active substance present in both commercial and generic drugs, its mechanism of action is to decrease the secretion of gastric acid, which is ideal for the treatment of diseases that affect the gastrointestinal system or tract.
What is esomeprazole used for?
- Esomeprazole, which is a sodium salt, has a mechanism of action similar to several anti-inflammatories that are proton pump inhibitors , which reduces the production and accumulation of acid or gastric juice that is released on the stomach walls . Since the absorption of the substance is fast, the effect in the treatment can occur after 1 or 2 hours.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of esomeprazole
Esomeprazole commonly comes as tablets, gastro-resistant capsules, and powder for solutions for injection, from 20 mg to 40 mg. The doses of treatment with esomeprazole in the form of tablets are as follows:
- Adults: Administer 1 capsule of 20 mg twice a day or one 40 mg capsule in the same way.
What products contain esomeprazole?
Some of the medicines that contain esomeprazole are:
- Axiago® is a commercial drug manufactured and distributed by Laboratorios Beta . (two)
- It is additionally composed of excipients such as anhydrous citric acid, crospovidone and glucose .
- It can be found in the presentation of gastro-resistant oral suspensions of approximately 10 mg.
- The nexium® is a commercial product from the AstraZeneca laboratories line. (3)
- Additional ingredients in the formula of this medication are glycerol monostearate, hypromellose , iron oxide, and magnesium stearate.
- Its presentation is in the form of 20 mg gastro-resistant capsules .
- Vimovo® is a type of commercial medication distributed by the Grünenthal laboratories . (4)
- Its presentation is in the form of prolonged-release tablets of 500 mg or less than 20 mg.
- The excipients included in the formula of this medicine are croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate and silica .
- Emanera® is a type of commercial medication, which is produced and distributed by the KRKA pharmaceutical company . (5)
- It is achieved in the presentation of gastro-resistant capsules of at least 40 mg.
- Additional excipients in the formula of this drug are sucrose and corn starch, which are types of sustained release sugar spheres.
Esomeprazole Side Effects
Although the esomeprazole substance is well tolerated in the body , it can bring with it frequent adverse reactions of which it is worth being prevented. Therefore, the best known adverse effects are:
- Abdominal pain.
- dry mouth
- constipation _
Important: If any of the aforementioned effects occur frequently, it is necessary to suspend the administration of this medicine and see your specialized doctor.
Contraindications and warnings of esomeprazole
Esomeprazole is contraindicated for a certain population of patients, since they may suffer from certain diseases or conditions that react negatively with contact with this substance. Therefore, it is not recommended for these cases:
- Patients with hypersensitivity to the components of the formula.
- Children under 12 years.
To highlight: Be sure to provide your doctor with all the information regarding your health history, to avoid inappropriate doses and unwanted effects .
Avoid if you have:
- Lactose intolerance .
- Fructose intolerance.
- Sucrose deficiency.
- This medicine should be kept out of the reach of children.
- Keep the various drugs of this type in dry places.
- It is preferably recommended to use this drug under a prescription or medical prescription.
- This medication should be kept at temperatures of 30°.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.