Home remedies have been used to treat pain and diseases, such as glucose problems, since they can generate an imbalance in blood sugar and, in turn, trigger multiple consequences.
Similarly, having high glucose levels in the body causes weight loss, increased thirst, or physical fatigue. Therefore, home methods can be used to lower this index and thus prevent other health problems.
For this reason, in the following article you will find the necessary information to know how to keep glucose balanced with effective home remedies to lower it. Likewise, we will give you the recommendations for an adequate control of it.
What is glucose?
Glucose, in addition to being a type of sugar, is the main energy used by the body to function properly in our daily activities. This substance comes from the foods we eat such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products and sweets.
To highlight: According to the American Diabetes Association, people who suffer from high glucose is due to physical inactivity, meals with more carbohydrates than normal, stress or other illnesses, leading to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) ( 1) .
Home remedies to lower glucose
Home remedies are an alternative to drugs that can be quite effective, being able to lower and regulate glucose levels when they are at high levels, which prevents further consequences for our health.
Below we will share with you the best-known home remedies in detail:
1. Stonebreaker tea
Chancapiedra is a plant with medicinal properties, which is known in regions of the Caribbean and Asia. It acts as an antidiabetic due to the large amount of flavonoids and vitamin C it contains, which help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Stonebreaker Blades
- Boil water and then add the chancapiedra leaves, leave on the fire for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand between 5 to 10 minutes, strain, drink hot and preferably without sugar.
2. Infusion of cinnamon
- cinnamon stick
- Bring water to a boil, then add the cinnamon sticks and let it boil for 3 minutes.
- Strain the cinnamon sticks and let the infusion stand for 10 minutes, drink at a hot temperature.
3. Sage tea
Sage is a medicinal plant that has properties against diabetes, mainly because it has vitamins B1, B2, B6, B9 and potassium, which help lower blood sugar levels.
It has also been shown through a study at the University of Minho , that sage tea has antidiabetic effects, being able to serve as a nutritional supplement to prevent type 2 diabetes (3) .
- sage leaves
- Boil water and add the sage leaves, leave on the heat for approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain, let stand between 5 to 10 minutes and drink at a hot temperature. You can add lemon juice (optional).
4. Oatmeal water
Oats are a cereal that has a high content of fiber and vitamins E, B5 and B6, as well as having minerals such as magnesium and calcium. It also has micronutrients that help maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- oat flakes
- First soak the oats in water in a container overnight.
- Strain the oats and wash it 2 times, then add it to a blender with water and blend. Finally serve and consume.
5. Insulin Plant Tea
The insulin plant is a herb that is used by diabetics to keep blood sugar regulated, it has a high content of vitamin A, C, fiber and flavonoids that help with the function of lowering glucose levels.
- vegetable insulin
- Boil water and add the vegetable insulin leaves and leave on the heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain, let stand for approximately 10 minutes and drink at a hot temperature.
6. Green tea
Green tea comes from a plant that is mainly used as an infusion. It also serves as a natural medicine, since it is good for lowering and regulating blood glucose levels and stimulating insulin production.
To highlight: According to a study, this tea has powerful antioxidants, one of them being epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), whose function, in addition to losing weight, is to stimulate insulin production and help lower the glucose index in the blood. organism (4) .
- Green Tea
- Boil water and then add green tea leaves, keep on fire for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea preparation from the heat and strain, serve in a cup and drink at a hot temperature, it can also be cold if desired.
7. Fenugreek tea
Fenugreek is a spice that is also known as fenugreek, it has medicinal properties and is good to use as an anti-inflammatory, digestive problems, antiseptic and for those who have high blood sugar levels.
Note: It has vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, flavonoids, and minerals such as potassium and magnesium that help reduce and regulate high glucose levels in the body, and can be consumed as an infusion.
- fenugreek leaves
- Boil water and then add fenugreek leaves, keep on fire for about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain, let stand 10 minutes to drink at a hot temperature.
8. Black plum tea
The black plum comes from a tree called “plum”, and it occurs in areas where it is cold and it is a fruit rich in fiber that contains several minerals such as magnesium and potassium, it is ideal for regulating glucose due to its antioxidant properties such as anthocyanins .
- Black plum leaves and seeds
- Bring water to a boil and add the black plum leaves and seeds, leave on the heat for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and strain, then let stand for 10 minutes and drink hot.
9. Infusion of mango leaves
- mango leaves
- Bring the water to a boil and add the clean and fresh mango leaves for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain, serve and let stand until desired temperature.
10. Infusion of curry leaves
The curry leaves come from its tree which is of tropical origin, it serves as a natural medicine to treat glucose levels since they have vitamins A, group B, C and E, which help lower blood sugar and regulate it
- curry leaves
- Boil water and place the clean and fresh curry leaves, leaving on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the infusion, serve in a cup and drink at a hot temperature.
11. Moringa tea
Moringa is a medicinal plant of great benefit to treat high blood glucose levels and regulate it. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory, helping the digestive system and other health benefits, since it is rich in vitamins A, group B and C.
- moringa leaves
- Bring water to a boil and stir in the moringa leaves until they rise, about 3 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from the heat and strain, serve in a cup and drink at a hot or cold temperature.
12. Bitter Gourd Tea
Bitter gourd leaves, also known as bitter melon, come from a plant that is used as natural medicine, since it has a large amount of fiber, vitamins A and C, properties that serve to lower blood sugar.
- dried bitter gourd leaves
- Boil water and add bitter gourd leaves, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain, serve in a cup and drink at a hot temperature. Honey can be added but in moderation.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial for lowering blood glucose levels, since it has vitamin A and group B, as well as being rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium and calcium. Also working as an antioxidant for the body.
- Apple vinager
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water, because the taste can be very strong.
- Mix well and drink either hot or cold.
14. Okra water
Okra water is a medicinal drink to combat the symptoms of diabetes, helping to regulate blood glucose levels due to the large amount of vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C. It also has minerals such as calcium and potassium.
- Steep the okra in water for several hours or overnight for the skin and seeds to absorb the liquid.
- Serve the next day in a glass and drink cold or plain.
Aloe vera is a medicinal plant that has the ability to regulate glucose levels and fight diabetes due to a component called glucomannan that acts as a hypoglycemic, decreasing sugar in the body.
- aloe vera crystals
- Wash the aloe vera crystals with plenty of water to eliminate bacteria and cut into several pieces (including the skin).
- Once the gel is reached, reserve in a container and consume.
16. Guava juice
Guava is a delicious fruit appreciated by many and used as a natural medicine for its benefits and nutrients . Thanks to its properties of dietary fiber vitamins A, C and potassium that help control blood sugar levels.
- Wash guavas and peel them and then cut them into pieces.
- Blend the guava pieces, once ready strain and serve in a glass to drink cold or at room temperature.
Recommendations to control glucose levels
Glucose levels can be controlled by taking certain effective and simple recommendations that do not require much effort, helping us to prevent further consequences to our health.
The recommendations that you can take into account are the following:
Moderate carbohydrate intake
We well know that the consumption of carbohydrates is necessary, since that is where the energy we need for our body comes from and to keep us active, but excessive consumption can increase the percentage of glucose in the body.
Therefore, it is advisable to maintain a moderate consumption of carbohydrates, so we can have a controlled glycemic index and insulin level without having to eliminate our daily foods and bypassing any necessary diet.
Consume fiber and foods with a low glycemic index
It is good to consume foods rich in fiber and with a low glycemic index, in this way you can have adequate control over blood glucose and insulin levels.
Note: Such foods can be green leafy vegetables such as spinach , fruits, carrots , chickpeas, lentils, and bran cereals. This will not only help us regulate blood glucose but will also provide other benefits for our body.
Maintain a proper weight
Another recommendation to follow is to maintain an adequate weight, this decreases the risk of heart disease and also to control the levels of sugar in our blood, in addition to making us feel better and with more energy.
Important: If you are not sure what your ideal weight is, you can consult your doctor and thus measure your height and weight, and be able to reflect it in the BMI (Body Mass Index), thus knowing what your ideal weight is.
drink water regularly
It is advisable to drink water regularly if you have high sugar levels, since we go to the bathroom more frequently and glucose is eliminated through urine, thus preventing dehydration and symptoms such as fatigue or headaches.
Lower stress levels
It is necessary to be free of tension or anguish since we can suffer from hyperglycemia due to stress. It has been shown through a study that we can present it without having a history, thus causing complications for our health (5) .
Note: That is why it is advisable to be free of stress, avoiding those situations of frustration, doing physical exercise or getting enough sleep.
Do physical activities
Performing physical activities is highly recommended if we have high blood glucose levels, but without going to an extreme since it is not good either. Exercising for 40 minutes 3 days a week is enough.
Resting correctly is another recommendation and a simple way to control glucose levels, since sleep favors the pancreas to regulate insulin levels in the blood and we will also enjoy more energy and less stress.
- Glucose is the main energy used by the body to function properly in our daily activities. This substance comes from the foods we eat such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products and sweets.
- There is a variety of home remedies that serve to lower glucose levels, among them we get green tea, aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, mango leaf infusion, cinnamon infusion, oatmeal water, guava juice, among other simple to prepare and have at home.
- Another way to control glucose levels is by having a balanced lifestyle, for this we recommend you rest adequately, perform physical activities, drink water regularly, moderate the consumption of carbohydrates, consume foods high in fiber and low in the glycemic index, etc.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.