What is citalopram?
Citalopramis a chemical compound classified as active substance, which belongs to the line of antidepressant drugs selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), with effect on thecentral nervous system (CNS). (1)
What is citalopram for?
- Citalopram is a drug that thanks to its mechanism of action, enhances the pharmacological results of serotoninin the CNS without the side effects of tricyclic antidepressants, helping patients to recover and maintain mental balance.
- It is used to treat:
Citalopram dosage and routes of administration
According to the manufacturer’s laboratory, citalopram can be soldin 10 mg, 20 mg, and 30 mg tablets. The administrationis oraland the dose for informational purposes may be as follows:
- Adults: The usual dose is one 20 mg tablet once a day at any time.
- Elderly over 65 years of age: One 20 mg tablet once a day at any time. The maximum daily dose in this population is 40 mg per day.
What products contain citalopram?
Some of the medicines that contain citalopram are:
- Prepram® is a synthetically manufactured drug that uses citalopram as its active ingredient.
- It is used in the treatment of major depression and anxiety states .
- Calton® is the trade name of a drug that uses citalopram as the active ingredient.
- It is indicated to increase serotonin levels , relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Citalvir® is a commercial drug that contains citalopram as an active ingredient in its formula , a chemical compound that belongs to the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
- It is indicated in the treatment of depression and prevention of relapses .
- Prisdal® uses citalopram as an active ingredient, a chemical compound with an effect on the CNS .
- It is indicated to treat those cases of panic disorder with or without agoraphobia .
citalopram side effects
Clinical data indicate that pharmacological treatment with citalopram may cause some of the following adverse effects in a certain population of patients:
- Possible appearance of allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Nervousness, asthenia, drowsiness or sleep disorders .
- Dizziness, headaches, memory disorders and/or libido disorders.
- Changes in body weight.
- Orthostatic hypotension.
- Increased suicidal tendency.
Important: If any of these symptoms appear during treatment with citalopram, please stop using it and tell your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of citalopram
The use of citalopram is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Patients with hypersensitivity to any chemical component of citalopram.
- In children under 14 years of age.
- Patients who are receiving medication with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
- Patients with a congenital long QT syndrome.
- Patients with severe renal insufficiency or if you also have liver insufficiency.
- In the period of pregnancy.
- During breastfeeding .
You should know: Before starting treatment with this drug, provide your doctor with all the information regarding your health history .
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to any of the components of the citalopram formula.
- Than driving vehicles or operating precision machinery.
- Severe liver or kidney disease.
- Medication with other drugs for other pathologies without medical authorization.
- The use of citalopram is very delicate, so it must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- Taking this medication may cause a risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you have any questions regarding the administration of this medicine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol during treatment with citalopram.
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.