What is kaomycin?
Kaomycin® is the trademark of a combined synthetic medicine, which uses the action of three active substances that are neomycin , kaolin (1) and pectin (2) , substances belonging to the line of antidiarrheal medicines, with an effect on conditions in the gastrointestinal system .
To highlight: This pharmaceutical product is produced by the company named Armstrong Laboratorios de México, SA de CV . (3)
What is kaomycin used for?
- Thanks to the joint action of its active ingredients, kaomycin® inhibits the synthesis of bacterial proteins, increasing their sensitivity and preventing them from reproducing, as well as protecting the intestinal mucosa, providing symptomatic relief , favoring the formation of more consistent stools and the elimination of toxins. .
- It is used to treat:
- Diarrheal processes with or without infection in children over 6 years of age and adults.
- Foodborne diarrhea and traveler’s diarrhea.
Dosage and routes of administration of kaomycin
The presentation of kaomycin® is in a box with 20 tablets, which contain neomycin sulfate equivalent to 129 mg of neomycin, 280 mg kaolin and 30 mg pectin. The administration of this medicine is orally and the dosage as a reference can be the following:
- Children over 6 years of age: 1 tablet every 4 to 6 hours according to medical prescription.
- Adults: A dose of 2 tablets every 4 or 6 hours for the time indicated by your doctor.
kaomycin side effects
Therapeutic treatment with kaomycin® can cause in certain types of patients , some of the following adverse effects:
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Nausea, vomiting , or constipation .
Important: If during treatment with kaomycin® some of these symptoms or another not described arise, please stop using it and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of kaomycin
The use of kaomycin® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Patient hypersensitivity to any of the components of the formula.
- Abdominal pain and intense fever .
- During the period of pregnancy or breastfeeding without medical authorization.
- In children under 6 years of age.
You should know: Provide all the information about your health history to your doctor, before starting treatment with this medicine.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to any of the components of the formula.
- Medication with antibiotics such as tetracycline and heart drugs .
- Pharmaceutical products such as kaomycin®, must be administered with prescription or medical prescription.
- Do not exceed the dose recommended by your doctor.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions while using this product.
- Keep in a dry and cool place.
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children.
- Do not use this product if the manufacturing date has expired.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.