What is neomycin?
Neomycin is a medicine classified as an active ingredient, belonging to the family of aminoglycosides with broad-spectrum antibiotic effect, used in the treatment of infections in the body.
Note: This medicine can be used alone or in combination with other active substances that extend its pharmacological action.
What is neomycin for?
- Neomycin is used to treat or prevent infections in different organs of the human body, since it is a bactericidal drug, that is, its mechanism of action is based on inhibiting protein synthesis and inducing erroneous readings of mRNA, eliminating bacteria.
- It is used to treat:
- Bacterial infectious diarrhea.
- Non-infectious diarrhea.
- Infectious enterocolitis due to sensitive germs.
- Pre-operative sterilization of colon and intestine.
- Hepatic encephalopathy.
- Hepatic coma to reduce the number of ammonia-forming bacteria (adjuvant). (3)
- Skin infections.
- Rhinitis, sinusitis, eustachitis, Conjunctivitis , keratitis, blepharitis.
- Oropharyngeal infections, gingivitis, stomatitis.
Neomycin dosage and routes of administration
The presentation of neomycin is varied due to its multiple uses, being found in vaginal eggs, tablets, cream and oral solution, nasal, ophthalmic, oropharyngeal or auditory drops.
The administration is according to the presentation being oral, auditory, ophthalmic, buccal, nasal, cutaneous and vaginal. The informative dose can be as follows:
- Tablets: Children 6 to 12 years of age 1 tablet and adults 2 tablets 4 to 6 times a day.
- Oral solution: Children 5 ml, adults 10 ml 4 to 6 times a day.
- Nasal solution : It is recommended to apply 4 to 8 drops per day in each nostril.
- Eye solution : It is recommended to apply 1 to 2 drops, 2 to 4 times a day in each eye.
- Oropharyngeal solution : It is recommended to make one or two applications every half hour, as many times as necessary to achieve the expected results.
- Hearing solution : Apply 3 to 4 drops in each ear, 2 to 4 times during the day.
Cream or ointment : A thin layer is applied to the affected area 1 or 2 times a day.
Vaginal capsules : Apply 1 capsule once a day according to medical recommendation.
What products contain neomycin?
Some of the medicines that contain neomycin are:
- Which nasal®
- Baycuten N®
- Alin nasal® is a synthetic medicine that contains dexamethasone, , neomycin and phenylephrine in the form of drops.
- It is used in the treatment of acute and chronic allergic rhinitis, vasomotor rhinitis, allergic sinusitis .
- Baycuten N® is a synthetic medication made up of clotrimazole and neomycin in cream or ointment.
- This drug is indicated to treat dermatitis that occurs with secondary bacterial infection .
- Trenda®is a medicine that contains neomycin and kaolin, which comes in tablet form.
- It is used as an antidiarrheal and specific bactericide of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Polygynax® is a combination of neomycin, polymyxin sulfate, and nystatin , which comes in softgels.
- It is used to treat vaginitis caused by sensitive germs and non-specific vaginitis.
Neomycin Side Effects
The use of neomycin can cause in certain patients, any of the following Adverse reactions :
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Malabsorption syndrome.
- Muscle contractions, numbness, seizures.
- Hearing loss.
Important: If any of these symptoms appear or one not included in the list, please discontinue use and notify your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of neomycin
Neomycin treatment is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the formula or to aminoglycoside antibiotics.
- Patients with kidney failure.
- During pregnancy.
doctor before starting treatment with neomycin.
Avoid it if you have:
- Chronic or bloody diarrhea.
- high fever
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Chicken pox and herpes.
- This medicine can produce a risk of ototoxicity at large doses for a long time.
- During the administration of neomycin, periodic analysis of renal function is advisable.
- Avoid consuming this medication with alcoholic beverages.
- Do not mix with drugs such as digoxin, penicillin or anticoagulant drugs.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.