What is lactulax?
Lactulax® is a medicine considered a type of laxative with an osmotic effect, for the most common gastrointestinal problems in people thanks to its active substance called lactulose, a type of sugar synthesized directly from lactose . (1)
Note: Lactulax® is a commercial product belonging to the line of laxative medicines made by Cetus laboratories . (two)
What is lactulax used for?
- Lactulax® has the mechanism of action of providing enough water to the stool , making it soft to facilitate its expulsion. On the other hand, it also increases the contraction of the intestinal smooth muscles, which improves the intestinal flora and considerably reduces the levels of ammonia in the blood of the liver. (3)
- It is used to treat:
- constipation _
- Hepatic coma (encephalopathy).
Dosage and routes of administration of lactulax
Lactulax® is available as a solution in sachets, in a bottle or in syrup, with an oral route of administration and a total of 10 g, 15 ml up to 100 ml or 125 ml of lactulose content. The most suitable doses of lactulax® in a medical prescription are the following.
- Adults: The doses of lactulax® in adults vary between 15 ml of syrup, up to a maximum of 40 ml.
- Children: The doses of pediatric lactulax® are from 15 ml of syrup for people over 7 years of age and a maximum of 4 ml for children under 6 years of age.
Important: There are maintenance doses for the treatment of adults in a maximum of 30 ml and for children between 15 ml and 10 ml of syrup, it is also recommended to administer with plenty of water.
Lactulax Side Effects
Treatment with lactulax® may have certain uncomfortable reactions during its administration, the frequency of which may vary and do not aggravate the patient’s situation so much. Therefore, the use of this drug should be discontinued if the adverse reactions persist and see your respective doctor . Among the most relevant side effects are the following:
Contraindications and warnings of lactulax
Lactulax® has certain warnings regarding its administration in certain patients, because it can react negatively with some people suffering from a specific disease. It is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to active metabolites.
- Galactosemia (inability to metabolize milk sugar).
- Intestinal occlusion.
- Patients on low galactose diets.
Avoid if you have:
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- This drug should be kept in a cool, dry place.
- Preferably use with a medical prescription.
- Administer with caution during pregnancy.