What is zyxem?
Zyxem® is a drug that uses levocetirizine as an active ingredient , a chemical compound belonging to the line of third-generation antihistamine drugs and derived from cetirizine, with an effect on some allergic conditions caused by external agents.
To highlight: This medicine is made by the company named Ucb Farchim SA (1)
What is zyxem used for?
- Thanks to the mechanism of action of zyxem®, it inhibits the exaggerated release of histamines produced by the immune system, in response to the attack of exogenous agents responsible for the appearance of some allergic manifestations, with minor side effects.
- It is used to treat:
- Allergic rhinitis including perennial allergic rhinitis and hives. (two)
Dosage and routes of administration of zyxem
The presentation of zyxem® is in 5 mg tablets , solution in a 75 ml, 150 ml and 200 ml bottle, with a concentration of 0.5 mg/ml of levocetirizine and in the form of drops with a 20 ml dropper with a concentration of 5 mg. / ml. The route of administration is oral and the dosage for information purposes can be as follows:
- Tablets: Adults a dose is 5 mg (1 tablet) per day. For children 6 to 12 years of age, the recommended daily dose is 1 tablet. In the adolescent population over 12 years of age, a daily dose of 1 tablet of 5 mg is suggested.
- Solution-Drops: Infants from 6 to 12 months of age, a daily intake of 1.25 mg equivalent to 5 drops or 2.5 ml of solution. Children from 1 to 2 years of age, 2.5 mg in 2 doses of 1.25 mg equivalent to 5 drops or 2.5 ml of the solution. Children from 2 to 6 years of age, 2.5 mg in 2 doses of 1.25 mg equivalent to 5 drops or 2.5 ml of the solution. Children 6 to 12 years of age, 5 mg equivalent to 20 drops or 10 ml of solution. Adolescents over 12 years of age and adults, 5 mg equivalent to 20 drops or 10 ml of solution.
Side Effects of Zyxem
Clinical studies establish that the therapeutic use of zyxem® may cause some of the following adverse effects in certain patients :
- Possible allergic symptoms due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Drowsiness, fatigue, dry mouth and headache.
- Diarrhea , vomiting and constipation .
- Vertigo, visual disturbances and blurred vision.
- Palpitations, tachycardia and dyspnea.
- Dysuria and urinary retention .
- Central nervous system disorders such as seizures, paraesthesia, dizziness, insomnia , depression , and syncope.
Important: If any of these adverse reactions or others not described in the list appear during treatment with this drug, please discontinue use and notify your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of zyxem
The use of zyxem® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- People with hypersensitivity to the components of the formula.
- Subjects suffering from severe renal insufficiency, with creatinine clearance less than 10 ml/min.
- Women during the pregnancy period.
- Women during the breastfeeding period .
You should know: Before starting treatment with zyxem®, provide all information about your health history to your doctor.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to hydroxyzine or piperazine derivatives.
- Pharmaceutical products such as zyxem® must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- For administration of this product to elderly adult patients with renal dysfunction, dosage adjustment should be made taking into consideration the patient’s creatinine clearance.
- The administration of levocetirizine to neonates and infants less than 6 months of age is not recommended.
- Do not administer this medication during the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions during treatment with this drug.
- You must restrict the driving of vehicles and the operation of precision machinery while taking zyxem®.
- The use of zyxem® tablets is not recommended in children under 6 years of age.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.