One of the organs most exposed to the environment and therefore to all its polluting agents, including bacteria that cause various pathologies, are the eyes.
In view of this, man through scientific work has created a set of drugs to counteract the harmful effects of these bacteria and among them is tobradex .
In this article, we will give you enough information so that you know about this drug, its most relevant characteristics and what it is used for.
What is tobradex?
Tobradex is an eye drop for ophthalmic use, to treat some infectious and inflammatory pathologies of the eyeball. This medicine has two active ingredients that are tobramycin and dexamethasone .
Tobramycin is a chemical compound that acts as an antibiotic and belongs to the group of aminoglycosides, acting on a variety of aerobic Gram-negative bacilli, as well as against some Gram -negative Bacilli-cocci and Gram-positive Cocci . Dexamethasone, for its part, is a powerful synthetic glucocorticoid that acts as an anti-inflammatory.
Its mechanism of action consists of the association of a corticosteroid, which inhibits the inflammatory response of the immune system, with a powerful and broad-spectrum aminoglycoside antibiotic.
This medicine has several presentation options:
- As tobradex eye drops or tobradex suspension , it contains a combination of 1 mg/ml dexamethasone and 3 mg/ml tobramycin in a 5 ml bottle.
- In the form of ointment or ointment in a collapsible tube of 3.5 gr. (1)
Important: The administration and treatment of this medication must be carried out by a specialist doctor , but 1 to 2 drops each eye every 4 to 6 hours during the first 24 to 48 hours, 3 times a day, is customary. Then the dose can be modified in agreement with the treating physician.
What is tobradex used for?
This medicine is used to treat ocular infection such as conjunctivitis, as well as inflammatory processes associated with a superficial bacterial infection, infection after the extraction of a foreign body from the eye, to prevent infections after cataract surgery or intraocular surgery, viral diseases of the cornea among others. (two)
You should know: A scientific article describes the effectiveness of aminoglycoside antibiotics and anti-inflammatory corticosteroids for the treatment of many eye infections. (3)
side effects of tobradex
The use of tobradex in the eyes may cause some of the following side effects in certain patients:
- Allergic reactions to any of the components of tobradex.
- Blurry vision.
- Increased intraocular pressure.
Important: If you notice any of the above symptoms, stop using this medication and notify your doctor.
contraindications of tobradex
The use of tobradex is contraindicated in the following situations:.
- It has sensitivity to some of the components of tobradex.
- If you have or think you have tuberculosis in the eyes.
- Herpes simplex keratitis.
- Ocular pathologies caused by fungi or infections, without previous treatment caused by parasites.
- After removing a foreign body from the cornea of the eye.
You should know : It is recommended to review your medical history with your doctor before using this medication.
- Tobradex is an ophthalmic medication for the treatment of eye infections.
- This drug contains two active ingredients which are tobramycin and dexamethasone.
- It is frequently used to treat infections caused by aerobic Gram-negative bacilli as well as against some Gram -negative bacilli-cocci and Gram-positive cocci.
- Its administration and dosage must be under the supervision of a specialist doctor.