What is theophylline?
Theophylline is a medicine, which is used to prevent respiratory conditions such as shortness of breath and chest tightness. In its composition it has methylxanthine as an active ingredient, which thanks to its mechanism of action allows the stimulation of theCentral Nervous System (CNS) and the dilation of the bronchi.
Its administration is oral, with tablets,capsules and syrups that are indicated with adjusted doses, every 12 hours. There are also intravenous injections, which are usually used in emergency pictures with rapid effect.
Note: Due to its effect, uses and mechanism of action, it is a drug that does not require a prescription for its acquisition.
What is theophylline for?
Theophylline is primarily intended forrespiratory conditions and disorders. We will mention below its uses for its recognition and understanding:
1. Bronchial asthma
Bronchial asthma is a respiratory disease, which It is characterized mainly by inflammation of the airways.
To highlight: Theophylline, due to its active principle and mechanism of action, allows the reduction of symptoms , in addition to preventing symptoms thanks to sustained treatments. (1)
2. Chronic bronchitis
Chronic bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchial tubes and irritation of the airways with accumulation of mucus.
You should know: Theophylline allows an improvement in respiratory function and reduction of chronic obstructions in diseases of a pulmonary nature. (two)
Emphysema is a lung condition, where patients have damage to the air sacs of the lungs , or also known as alveoli. This damage is irreversible and causes shortness of breath, which increases over time.
Note: Theophylline allows maintaining the quality of life in patients by improving respiratory function and bronchospastic states. (3)
Theophylline Side Effects
All medicines have a list of possible side effects, which can develop within the treatments carried out with their consumption. We mention those of theophylline below:
- Tachycardia and cardiac arrhythmia.
- Nausea, dizziness and Vomiting .
- Tremors and increased diuresis.
- Headaches, restlessness and drowsiness.
Important: If some side effects occur and do not disappear when stopping treatment, it is important to seek medical assistance for information.
Contraindications of theophylline
Contraindications are factors that we must take into account, before consuming any medication to avoid the appearance of adverse effectstag. We mention those of theophylline below:
- Do not administer if you have an allergy or hypersensitivity to any of the components present in the drug.
- Do not indicate if the patient is a chronic smoker, as this reduces the effect and mechanism of the drug.
- It is not recommended in patients under six years of age.
- It is not recommended to consume if pregnancy is suspected or if you are lactating.
To highlight: It is important to notify the doctor of the health conditions that it presents, thus allowing the necessary measures to be taken in the indication of treatment.
- Theophylline is a medication that reduces the symptoms of angina pectoris, bronchospasm , bronchial asthma, pulmonary edema, and emphysema.
- Theophylline is a drug that is recommended in doses every 12 hours, depending on your doctor’s instructions.
- Its mechanism of action stimulates smooth muscle and allows an effect with beneficial results in patients with respiratory diseases.
- Theophylline Can cause side effects such as cardiac disturbances, nausea, dizziness, headache, and drowsiness.