What is telmisartan?
Telmisartan is an antihypertensive medication, which as its name suggestsis indicated for the treatment of high blood pressure. Its mechanism of action is as an angiotensin receptor antagonist, that is, itacts by inhibiting a hormone in our bodyto reduce blood pressure.
This medicine is administered orally, so its presentation isin tablets and its recommended dose is once a daywith or without food. Preferably it should be taken at the same time every day.
Note: Due to its composition and mechanism of action, this medicinedoes not require a prescriptionfor its acquisition.
What is telmisartan for?
Telmisartan is a medication aimed atreducing risks in the cardiovascular system. We will mention below what are the main uses that are given as a medical treatment:
1. Blood pressure
Telmisartan is a medication, which is used as atreatment mainly in adultswhere blood pressure varies constantly, thus causing discomfort and characteristic symptoms.
To highlight: This medicine is responsible for relaxing blood vessels and therefore reducing blood pressuretag. In many cases the treatment is prolonged and it is recommended that the dose be taken every day at the same time.(1)
2. Cerebrovascular accident
A cerebrovascular accident is, in general terms, the interruption due to reduction of the blood supply to the brain , so that it stops receiving adequate oxygen and nutrients and the cells begin to die.
You should know: Telmisartan is indicated to prevent increases in blood pressureand reduce the chances of a recurrence. However, it also works as a preventative treatment.(two)
3. Heart attack
A heart attack or heart attack , usually develops when one or more arteries become blocked, characterized by stiffness and chest pain, dizziness, and abnormal heart rhythm.
Note: Telmisartan reduces the risk of a heart attack , especially in vulnerable patients. (3)
Telmisartan Side Effects
All medicines have a stipulated list of possible side effects,within their use as treatment. Those of telmisartan will be mentioned below:
- Back pain, diarrhea and congestion.
- Tachycardia, upset stomach and dry mouth.
- Blurred vision, headache and anxietyPictures.
Important: If side effects persist after stopping treatment, it is recommended to seek medical attention for information.
Contraindications are factors that must be taken into account before beginning medical treatment,in order to reduce the risk of developing adverse effects. Contraindications of telmisartan are mentioned below:
- Do not take if you are allergic or hypersensitive to any of the drug components.
- Do not indicate if pregnancy is suspected or if you are lactating.
- Do not indicate if the patient has hepatic or renal deficiency.
- It is not recommended to drive after ingesting the medicine, since in some cases it can cause drowsiness.
- Do not drink alcohol during medical treatment.
To highlight: It is important to indicate all the medical history to the professional, so that he can assign an adequate and pertinent treatment.
- Telmisartan is aimed at reducing the risk of cardiovascular disorders or problems.
- Its mechanism of action allows it to act as an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor.
- It is important to note that a doctor should be consulted if there are persistent side effects caused by telmisartan .
- The recommended dose of telmisartan is One Tablet Daily , preferably at the same time each day.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.