What is tamsulosin?
Tamsulosin is an antagonist drug, which allows organic molecular activation andworks by blocking alpha receptorspresent in the muscles of the blood vessel walls.
It is marketed for oral administration, and although the doses are adapted to patients, the most common isone capsule (0.4 mg) daily, right after breakfast.
Note: If you miss the dose at breakfast time, you can take it during the same day, as long as it isafter a meal.
On the other hand, due to its metabolism in our body, it is almost completely absorbed in the intestinal tractby 99%, being also its linear pharmacokinetics. It should be noted that its active ingredient istamsulosin hydrochloride, with prolonged release. (1)
What is tamsulosin for?
Tamsulosin has afairly specific orientationfor its application, which will be mentioned and briefly explained below for your knowledge and understanding:
1. Relaxes the muscles of the prostate and urethra
The muscle relaxation capacity of tamsulosin and its active ingredient, allows the relaxation of themuscles of the prostate and urethra, thus granting, especially in elderly patients, the ease in the passage of urine and therefore, facilitating the process of urination. (2)
To highlight: Tamsulosin influences both the dilation of the urethral lumen, which in many cases is indicated to facilitate the expulsion of kidney stones.
2. Decreases the feeling of urgency in urination
However, although the drug is indicated to relax the urethra and bladder, it also has the ability to strengthen the contractions of the urinary sphincter, thereby reducing the sensation of urgency in urination in patients who present this discomfort. (3)
Tamsulosin Side Effects
Side effects are common in drugs, but they do not appear with complete certainty. We have listed below thepossible effects of tamsulosin for your knowledge and contemplation:
- Inflammation of some part of the body such as hands, feet, lips.
- Rash or mucosal lesions.
- Inflammation and blistering of the skin.
- Ejaculation disorders and painful erection.
- Diarrhea , nausea and dizziness.
You should know: If the adverse effects are persistent, it is recommended to suspend the treatment and seek medical assistance.
We mention below the contraindications to take into account for the use of this drug:
- It should not be indicated if there is an allergy or hypersensitivity to any of the components.
- Do not indicate to patients with liver failure.
- Do not consume alcohol during treatment.
Important: It is advisable to review your health history with a specialist doctor before starting treatment with tamsulosin.
- Tamsulosin is a medication indicated mainly to improve the quality of life of patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia .
- It comes in the form of 0.4 mg capsules and is characterized by having a prolonged release of its active ingredient.
- Among drugs of this nature, tamsulosin stands out for having few adverse reactions.
- Tamsulosin promotes voiding and also decreases the patient’s sense of urgency in the process.
- This medicine is indicated mostly in males or adult men.