Within the category of medications that exist in the world, there are antihistamines, which treat allergy symptoms and block, as their name indicates, the effect of histamine, a substance that produces symptoms in the immune system .
Within these types of medication is levocetirizine and in the following article we will delve into its uses, active ingredients, possible side effects and contraindications.
What is levocetirizine?
Levocetirizine is an antihistamine medication, which means that it contains active metabolites for the reduction of allergic symptoms , such as runny nose, sneezing, redness, and itching. Its active substance is levocetirizine dihydrochloride.
Its presentation is in 5 mg tablets and can be indicated for both children and adults, generally once a day at the same time , with or without food.
Note: Within the existing recommendations, it is important to take into account, especially when there is frequent use, that a maximum of 10 mg daily should be indicated.
What is levocetirizine used for?
Levocetirizine is a drug indicated for respiratory health disorders mainly. They will be mentioned and briefly explained below for your knowledge and understanding:
1. Allergic rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis is a set of symptoms that affect our nose. It usually happens after the inhalation of some external agent, which produces allergic responses in our body.
To highlight: Antihistamines such as levocetirizine reduce this type of symptomatology , even in a period of less than 12 hours after the indicated treatment after the onset of the first symptoms. (1)
2. Seasonal allergies
Seasonal allergies are responses of the immune system to external agents suspended in the air, which appear at certain times of the year, such as pollen.
You should know: The mechanism of drugs such as levocetirizine reduces symptoms and disappears itching, sneezing and runny nose. (two)
Urticaria is an allergic reaction that manifests itself on the skin , producing spots and redness, mainly when exposed to substances, foods, and medications.
Note: Levocetirizine blocks histamine so symptoms are reduced, with much less sedative influence than other drugs of this nature. (3)
Levocetirizine Side Effects
Like all medicines, levocetirizine can have certain side effects . They will be mentioned below for your knowledge and contemplation:
- Drowsiness and dry mouth.
- Headaches and dizziness.
- Fatigue and gastrointestinal discomfort
Important: If the symptoms persist after stopping the drug, it is important to see a medical professional .
Contraindications of levocetirizine
The factors to take into account for the consumption of this drug are considered contraindications, which will be mentioned below to avoid adverse effects:
- Do not administer levocetirizine if you have an allergy or hypersensitivity to any of the drug’s components.
- Do not mix with alcohol or sedatives.
- Do not indicate to patients with severe renal insufficiency.
To highlight: Before starting treatment with levocetirizine, it is advisable to notify the treating physician about the health conditions you have.
- Levocetirizine is an antihistamine drug, indicated for the reduction of symptoms in allergic pictures.
- Taking levocetirizine is indicated as a treatment for rhinitis symptoms, reducing the effects on histamine capacity in the body.
- The indicated dose of levocetirizine is one 5 mg tablet once a day, orally, which can be adjusted depending on the case.
- It is important to respect the administration of doses and therapeutic indications to avoid risks and adverse effects, especially in pediatric patients, that is, children under 6 years of age.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.