It is very common for men to suffer from various pathologies as a result of age, genetic factors and even lifestyle, such as cardiovascular diseases or prostate conditions.
To improve the health of these people and increase their quality of life , the drug industry creates drugs that can have a joint action against these pathologies, among them is doxazosin.
In the following article, we provide you with all the information you need to know about this medication, its most relevant characteristics and in what situations your doctor can prescribe it for you.
What is doxazosin?
Doxazosin is an alpha 1 adrenergic receptor blocking drug, capable of reducing peripheral vascular resistance and acts by relaxing the smooth muscle of veins, arteries and glands such as the prostate whose concentration of alpha 1 receptors is high. (1)
Its active principle is doxazosin , a drug used for the treatment of arterial hypertension , as well as in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The presentation of this medicine is in 4 mg tablets in a blister pack with 28 prolonged-release units.
Its oral administration should be carried out under medical recommendation and according to each case, but its usual use to control blood pressure is 2 mg to 4 mg, starting with 1 mg daily for 1 to 2 weeks and gradually adjusting the dose until a maximum of 16 mg per day.
Note: The advice of a medical professional is recommended for the prescription and dosage of this medication.
What is doxazosin used for?
As described above, doxazosin is used to treat the following conditions:
1. Benign prostatic hyperplasia
Benign prostatic hyperplasia is non-cancerous enlargement of this prostate gland, which can cause difficulty in urination and in some cases can lead to infection, bladder stones, and decreased kidney function.
You should know: Clinical evidence describes the effectiveness of doxazosin in cases of benign prostatic obstruction in improving urinary flow. (two)
2. High blood pressure
Blood pressure is a pathology of chronic origin, where the blood vessels have a tension above the normal values for an adult person (120/80 mmHg).
To highlight: Clinical trials describe the efficacy of doxazosin in cases of essential arterial hypertension. (3)
Doxazosin Side Effects
The consumption of doxazosin can cause certain adverse effects in some patients, such as the following:
- Allergic reactions caused by any of its components.
- Orthostatic hypotension.
- Fatigue, gastrointestinal discomfort, respiratory distress, nasal congestion.
- Cardiac arrhythmia or ischemia.
Important: If you notice any of these symptoms or others not described while taking this medicine, stop using it and consult your doctor.
Contraindications of doxazosin
The use of this medicine is contraindicated in patients with the following conditions:
- Patients with sensitivity to any component of doxazosin.
- Patients with renal or hepatic insufficiency or with heart conditions.
- Patients who are going to undergo cataract surgery.
- In pregnant or lactating women.
Important: It is advisable to inform your doctor about your medical history before taking this drug.
- Doxazosin is a vasodilator drug of the smooth muscle of blood vessels and tissue of the prostate gland.
- This drug is indicated for the treatment of arterial hypertension and benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- This medicine does not cure the pathologies described, but it helps to reduce the impact of their symptoms on the patient’s quality of life .
- This medicine must be prescribed and dosed by a health professional.