When there are imbalances in our body, symptoms arise thatdecrease our health and therefore our quality of life. Such is the case with imbalances that occur in the inner ear, causing dizziness.
In this sense, medical science aware that this conditionslows down the normal progress of daily life of many people, has worked for the creation and manufacture of drugs to control these imbalances, one of them beingdiphenidol.
For this reason, in the following article we give you the information you need to know about this drug, its main characteristics and for what situations your doctor can prescribe it.
What is difenidol?
Diphenidol is a medicine ofsynthetic origin, indicated for the prevention and symptomatic treatment of peripheral vertigo, nausea and vomiting. Its active substance contains diphenidol hydrochloride, a drug that works as amuscarinic antagonistused in healing medicine as anantiemetic and antivertiginous agent.
Its mechanism of action is not yet well defined, but it is thought to exert aspecific antivertiginous action on the vestibular apparatus of the ear, inhibiting the chemoreceptor zone that controls nausea and vomiting.
As for the presentation, difenidol is found intablets of 25 mgand its route of administrationis oral. The recommended dose can be administered according to the following:
- For theprevention and control of vertigo, nausea and vomitingin adults: 50 mg as the initial dose, followed by 25 to 50 mg every 4 hours as recommended by the doctor.
- In case ofnausea and vomiting in the paediatric population: 1 mg/kg body weight, not exceeding 5 mg/kg/day.
Important: Both the prescription and the dosage and frequency must be supervised by a specialist doctor.
What is diphenidol used for?
Due to its antivertiginous and antiemetic action, diphenidol is indicated to treat the following conditions and diseases:
1. Peripheral vertigo
Peripheral vertigo is an imbalance that occurs in an area of the middle ear called the vestibular labyrinth and occurs due to inflammation of that area, due to a viral or bacterial condition. (1)
You should know: According to the results of a clinical trial, diphenidol appears to be particularly effective for patients with peripheral vertigo. (two)
2. Nausea and vomiting
Nausea is a feeling of discomfort in the upper abdomen,duet tovarious pathologiesthat occur at the gastrointestinal level. For its part, vomitingis the violent and spasmodic expulsion of stomach contents through the mouth. (3)
To highlight: Some studies highlight that the use of diphenidol is effective for the control and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting. (4)
3. Meniere’s disease and other ear conditions
On the other hand, this drug is also indicated to prevent and control peripheral vertigo in other ear conditions such as labyrinthitis, otitis media, middle and inner ear surgery, and trauma to the vestibular apparatus.
Diphenidol Side Effects
Treatment with diphenidol may cause some of the following side effects in certain patients :
- Allergic reactions due to contact with some of the components of diphenidol.
- Dry mouth and gastrointestinal irritation.
- Sleepiness, overstimulation, depression, and sleep disturbances such as certain types of insomnia can occur .
- Dizziness and skin rash (rash) can sometimes occur.
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as nausea or indigestion .
- General malaise, headache and sometimes blurred vision
Important: If during treatment with diphenidol some of the symptoms described or others not included in the list appear, stop using it and consult your doctor.
The initiation of treatment with this drug is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Sensitivity to any of the chemical components of diphenidol.
- Disorders in kidney function.
- In patients suffering from glaucoma.
- In women during pregnancy or lactation.
You should know: It is advisable to tell Your Medical History to your doctor, before starting treatment with diphenidol.
- Diphenidol is a synthetic medication , indicated for the prevention and treatment of peripheral vertigo, nausea and vomiting.
- Its active ingredient is Diphenidol Hydrochloride , a muscarinic antagonist drug used as an antiemetic and antivertiginous agent.
- This medication is also indicated to treat Ménière’s disease and peripheral vertigo caused by diseases such as labyrinthitis, otitis media, middle ear surgery, among others.
- This medication must be prescribed and dosed by a medical professional.