What is dicynone?
dicynone® is a commercial medicine produced by Grünenthal Laboratories(1). In its composition it has ethamsilate as an active ingredient, anti-hemorrhagic component that gives it its pharmaceutical capabilities for medical treatments.
On the other hand, its presentation is in tablets of 500 mg or solution for injection of 250 mg fora faster effect. Doses are only recommended for individuals over 12 years of age, being 1 tablet two or three times a day or 1 or 2 ampoules four times a day, depending on the indication of the medical professional.
Note: Due to its composition and mechanism of action, this drug requires a prescription for its acquisition.
What is dicynone for?
Dicynone® is a drug, which is applied to reduce bleeding of different natures. We mention below the main uses in medical treatments:
1. Pre, peri and postoperative capillary hemorrhages
Capillary hemorrhages are those that affect the superficial blood vessels of the skin , usually caused by trauma and which produce bruises.
To highlight: These hemorrhages have a high risk of infection and the use of dicynone® as indicated treatment reduces bleeding and the fragility of the affected area. (two)
2. Metrorrhagia and primary menorrhagia
Metrorrhagia is understood as irregular bleeding and in variable amounts during the menstrual period, while menorrhagia is menstrual periods with prolonged or heavy bleeding .
You should know: The ethamsylate present in dicynone® Reduces bleeding time as previously mentioned, which is why it is the oriented treatment for this type of disorder. (3)
3. Prophylaxis of intracranial hemorrhage
A prophylaxis is a preventive measure, which is taken to Reduce the chances of facing a disease or disorder, so the application of facing a disease or disorder, which is why the application of dicynone® is indicated as a treatment after trauma, surgery or seizures. (4)
Dicynone Side Effects
All medicines have stipulated possible side effects, which can developduring their use in medical treatments. We mention below those of dicynone®:
Important: If side effects occur and these are not reduced by stopping treatment, it is important to seek medical attention for information.
Contraindications are factors that we must take into account, to reduce the risk of developing adverse effects during medical treatment. We mention below those of dicynone®:
- Do not indicate if you have had an allergy or hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug.
- Do not indicate if the patient suffers or has a history of bronchial asthma.
- Do not indicate if pregnancy is suspected.
- Do not mix with alcohol during medical treatment.
- Do not mix with vitamin B1 during treatment.
You should know: It is important to indicate the medical history, so that an adequate and pertinent treatment can be assigned.
- Dicynone® is a medicine or product, which is indicated as a treatment for capillary hemorrhage and post surgery .
- It is administered orally or as an injectable solution, it is also indicated as a method of prevention and treatment of menstruation disorders.
- In internal medicine, dicynone® is also used in areas of otorhinolaryngology and urology with antihemorrhagic indications.
- Dicynone® is a product that requires a prescription for its acquisition, due to its nature and mechanism of action.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.