What is deflazacort?
Deflazacort is a medicine that belongs to the group ofcorticosteroids and glucocorticoidsfor itsanti-inflammatory, antiallergic and immunosuppressiveaction mainly.
Note: The active ingredient of this medicinegenerates cellular, vascular and humoral effects, it can also control the release of molecules that cause inflammatory processes in the body.
It is available as6 mg tablets and 30 mg forms, as determined by the specialist. Recommended doses in adults range from 6 to 90 mg daily, while in children between 0.25 and 1.5 mg/kg are recommended.
What is deflazacort for?
The use of deflazacort is varied, this thanks to the fact that it serves as part of prolonged treatments tocounteract the effects of degenerative diseases.
Here are some uses of deflazacort for different types of conditions that respond todeflazacort:
1. Rheumatic and collagen diseases
Among the rheumatic and collagen diseases that are treated with deflazacort are: Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, acute rheumatic fever, among other conditions.
You should know: Deflazacort, being a treatment with glucocorticoids, can reduce the levels of inflammation caused by diseases that directly affect the musculoskeletal system.
2. Gastrointestinal, liver and kidney disorders
, acute pancreatitis and nephrotic syndrome mainly, since being a corticosteroid can reduce inflammatory processes. which usually occur in such diseases.
3. Lung, blood and eye diseases
Diseases that affect the respiratory, blood and ocular systems such as Wegener’s granulomatosis , bronchial asthma, systemic lupus erythematosus, among others, are conditions that usually require a glucocorticoid-based treatment that clears the main respiratory and blood tracts. (two)
Important: The use of deflazacort at the ocular level must be administered under medical supervision , without exceeding the duration of treatment, since it may increase the risk of aggravating the disease. (3)
4. Skin and allergic conditions
Deflazacort is commonly used to treat skin conditions or allergic reactions , such as severe psoriasis and atopic dermatitistag. Said medication helps reduce skin redness, inflammation, and itching.(4)
Deflazacort Side Effects
Like any medication , its use must be administered under medical supervision , since exposure to an overdose of it, prolonged use or ingestion without a doctor’s recommendation, can cause the following side effects:
- Weight gain.
- Dyspepsia or acidity.
- Muscle weakness or joint pain.
- Prolonged use may affect growth in children.
You should know: It is advisable to ingest this medicine under medical prescription, Keep it in a place at room temperatureand out of the reach of children. Also, see your doctor if you experience any side effects as soon as possible.
Before taking deflazacort, it is important to consult a specialist if you have the following conditions:
- Active tuberculosis.
- Heart failure, high blood pressure.
- Has a recent diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.
- Recent intestinal anastomosis.
- Take muscle relaxants.
- He has emotional instability.
- Avoid consumption during the first trimester of pregnancy and during lactation.
- Deflazacort is a corticosteroid medication with anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic action.
- It is marketed in 6 mg and 30 mg tabletsfor oral administration. Its use should not be prolonged for more than 2 months.
- It works as a medicine to relieve skin, kidney, liver, gastrointestinal, blood and eye conditions.
- Its consumption without medical prescriptionshould be avoided, since it can cause headache, dyspepsia, weight gain, among other side effects.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.