In this sense, one of the most commercial and prescribed drugs for these conditions is clonazepam , recognized through different trade names.
Therefore, in the following article we will delve into this drug, its uses, effects and contraindications .
What is clonazepam?
Clonazepam, as mentioned above, is a benzodiazepine used as a mood stabilizer, whose mechanism of action consists of increasing the receptor frequency and therefore creating neuronal hyperpolarization. It is used in many cases for seizures and to reduce states of irritability .
Note: Its availability is largely oral and it usually takes effect in times of approximately 20 to 60 minutes, lasting from 6 to 8 hours in children and 12 in adults.
On the other hand, clonazepam is presented in a tablet that has microcrystalline cellulose, anhydrous lactose, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized corn starch. The dose in adults should not exceed 20 mg daily and should start at 1.5 mg, increasing gradually until it is reached.
What is clonazepam used for?
Clonazepam is a drug that, due to its nature, has different medical uses , which will be mentioned and explained below:
Epilepsy is a disease, which is characterized by having seizures of involuntary movements or seizures. In these cases, clonazepam is usually combined with other medications to control the symptoms.
To highlight: This drug, thanks to its active principle, suppresses the propagation of the convulsive activity but does not inhibit the total discharge . (1)
2. Panic attacks
Panic attacks are pictures of intense fear or terror for no apparent reason, with a feeling of not having control of the situation, running the risk of dying.
You should know: In these cases, clonazepam is used to alleviate the symptoms, especially in sudden and unexpected episodes, thus allowing you to regain control and alleviate emotional instability. (two)
Clonazepam Side Effects
Like all medications, there are possible side effects from taking clonazepam. We mention them below to take them into account:
- Loss of balance.
- Difficulty thinking
- Dolor muscular.
Important: In case of presenting any of the adverse reactions described above, suspend the use of clonazepam and consult a specialist doctor.
Contraindications of clonazepam
There are certain conditions that limit the use of clonazepam , so the existing contraindications for this medication will be mentioned below for your knowledge and care: (2)
- Allergies to benzodiazepines or any of the excipients.
- Patients with respiratory failure.
- Severe liver failure.
- Do not administer to patients with drug or alcohol dependence.
- Do not administer in case of pregnancy, or during the lactation period.
You should know: Clonazepam is a drug that should preferably be used under medical supervision, so it is recommended not to be administered without informing a specialist doctor .
- Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug with prolonged action, from 6 to 8 hours in children and up to 12 hours in adults.
- It is a sedative and anxiolytic medication, which is why it is used in patients with anxiety, nervous breakdowns and epilepsy.
- For cases of epilepsy it is combined with other medications, since on its own it only acts by inhibiting the spread, but not the discharge itself.
- Side effects and contraindications must be taken into account so as not to obtain unwanted responses.