Among the anti-inflammatory drugs, there are some of a steroid nature that are applied for the selective inhibition of prostaglandins, which are responsible for producing pain and inflammation.
Within this group of drugs is celebrex ® . Therefore, in the following article, we will delve into this medication and its uses , in addition to the possible side effects that may occur and its contraindications.
What is celebrex?
Celebrex® is a steroidal anti -inflammatory drug whose active principle is celecoxib , which is indicated exclusively for adults, allowing the reduction of the symptoms of disorders or diseases, mainly of a musculoskeletal nature.
Note: This drug usually takes effect one hour after the first dose , but is much more effective over the course of treatment.
It should be noted that celebrex® is produced by Pfizer laboratories (1) in 200 mg hard capsules, which should be consumed at the same time every day.
The capsule can also be opened and the contents poured into some semi-solid food, to be swallowed with the help of a glass of water. It is important not to chew the contents of the capsule.
What is celebrex used for?
Celebrex® is indicated to reduce pain and inflammation in musculoskeletal disorders and diseases, such as arthritis, osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis . We mention below the effect of this drug on them:
1. Rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, which causes joint swelling and tenderness, as well as pain and stiffness. The use of celebrex® as a treatment reduces symptoms and greatly improves physical condition , obtaining beneficial results. (two)
To highlight: Treatments of 200 to 400 mg maximum daily are applied, depending on the dose recommended by the medical professional.
Osteoarthritis is a disorder or pathology that damages the cartilage of a joint , thus reducing movement.
You should know: Celebrex® as a treatment for this disease is recognized as an improvement in the quality of life, in addition to reducing pain , reduces inflammation and produces much fewer side effects than other drugs in the same branch. (3)
3. Ankylosing spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic arthritis that affects large joints and the spine.
Note: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of celebrex® to alleviate the symptoms of this disease and improve the quality of life of patients, with doses ranging from 200 mg to 400 mg . mg max. (4)
celebrex side effects
Like any medicine, celebrex® contains a list of possible side effects when consuming it, which will be mentioned below for your knowledge and contemplation:
- Swelling of the face, difficulty in breathing.
- Tachycardia, chest pain.
- Stomach pain, vomiting, constipation , gas.
- Skin rash or peeling.
Important: In case of side effects, it is advisable to suspend the treatment and seek medical assistance .
We mention the contraindications of this drug below , so that they are taken into account and avoid adverse effects, which is why celebrex® is contraindicated:
- If there is an allergy or hypersensitivity to the components of the medication.
- Do not administer if there is any heart failure.
- It is not recommended if there is any renal insufficiency or dysfunction.
- It should not be administered to children.
- Its use is not recommended if pregnancy is suspected or if you are lactating.
To highlight: Before starting treatment with celebrex®, it is recommended to notify your doctor about your health history .
- Celebrex® is a drug indicated for patients with musculoskeletal diseases .
- The maximum dose for this drug is 400 mg and is indicated in 200 mg capsules twice a day.
- Its active ingredient is celecoxib and is where its name comes from, but the product requires a prescription and medical supervision as part of its methods or precautionary requirements due to possible reactions.
- It is a medicine that takes effect from the first dose but improves throughout the duration of your treatment.