What is cefuroxime?
Cefuroxime is a drug thatacts as an antibiotic in infections caused by Gramma-positive and Gramma-negativebacteria in the respiratory system,auditory system, urinary tract and skin. (1)
Its active substance is cefuroxime in the form ofcefuroxime axetilo, asecond-generation antibiotic belonging to the cephalosporin group. Its mechanism of action is based on the fact that it selectively inhibits the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
This drug is available as film-coated tablets of 250 mg and 500 mg and the dose is usually prescribed in doses of250 mg and 500 mg every 12 hours, 2 times a dayaccording to the evaluation made by the doctor.
Note: In the case of children, the manufacturer recommends oral administration of10 mg/kg body weight up to a maximum of 125 mgor following medical advice.
What is cefuroxime used for?
As described, cefuroxime axetil is an antibiotic that can be indicated to treat the following pathologies:
1. Respiratory infections
You should know:The combined therapy of cefuroxime and cefuroxime axetil is effective in the treatment ofcommunity-transmittedpneumonia . (two)
2. Skin and soft tissue infections
Another of the important applications of this medicine is the treatment of infections in the skin and in soft tissues of the human organism.
To highlight: Scientific articles describe the effectiveness of the use of cefuroxime in treatments against psoriasis, localized scleroderma and lupus erythematosus. (3)
In soft tissue, infections occur when harmful bacteria enter the body through a wound, multiply, and cause damage. In these cases,treatment with cefuroxime has also been successful as described in some scientific articles. (4)
3. Urinary infections
Urinary infections in men and women are very frequent in the adult population and also have some occurrence in the pediatric population.
To highlight: Clinical studies establish the effectiveness of cefuroxime in combination with other antibiotics, for the treatment of infections caused by Aerococcus sanguinicola. (5)
4. Lyme disease
You should know: Early treatment with cefuroxime is successful in cases of Lyme disease. (6)
Cefuroxime Side Effects
Taking cefuroxime may cause some of the following adverse reactions in some patients :
- Possible allergic reactions to cefuroxime or any of its components.
- Possible fungal infections.
- Its consumption can cause pseudomembranous colitis.
- Abdominal pain.
- Possible transient increase in liver enzymes.
Important: If you notice any of these symptoms, stop using it and tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Contraindications of cefuroxime
The use of this medicine is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Sensitivity to cefuroxime or any of its components or hypersensitivity to any antibiotic.
- Renal insufficiency.
- In children under 3 months.
- During the use of oral contraceptives, since cefuroxime decreases their effectiveness.
- If you are pregnant, think you are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Important: It is recommended to review your medical history with your doctor before starting treatment with cefuroxime.
- Its active substance is cefuroxime in the form of cefuroxime axetil.
- It is indicated for the treatment of respiratory, skin, urinary tract infections and in cases of Lyme disease.
- This medicine is for delicate use, so its administration and dosage must be indicated by a specialist doctor.