Medications with inhibitory capacity, such as captopril, are usually used to control the symptoms of disorders that tend to reduce the quality of life of patients. They are molecular structures with receptors, which allow the medical treatment of certain conditions.
In the following article we will talk in detail about captopril, an inhibitor that reduces the risk of heart attacks . We will mention its main uses, possible side effects and contraindications.
What is captopril?
Captopril is a medication aimed primarily at delaying the weakening of the heart and circulatory system. It is an inhibitor of the angiotensin enzyme, which blocks the peptidase protein and acts as a stimulant in relevant cases.
Captopril is administered orally, so it comes in 25 or 50 mg tablets that are recommended in doses of one to three times a day, preferably always at the same time of day. The treatments are usually prolonged and personalized , but without exceeding 450 mg daily or 150 mg in each dose.
Note: Due to its nature and mechanism of action, it is a medication that is not sold without a prescription.
What is captopril used for?
Captopril is a drug, mainly oriented to the treatment of cardiovascular disorders . We mention below its main uses for your knowledge:
1. High blood pressure
Arterial hypertension is a disorder, where the blood pressure in the walls of the arteries is very high, exceeding 130/80 mm Hg. It is usually characterized by severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, and even nosebleeds.
To highlight: Captopril controls and relieves symptoms effectively, reducing both systolic and diastolic blood pressure levels. (1)
2. Heart failure
Heart failure is a chronic and serious condition, which causes the heart to not work efficiently or correctly , especially in its pumping capacity.
You should know: Captopril is indicated as a treatment, allowing a reduction of risks and symptoms, controlling rather than curing the disorder. (two)
3. Myocardial infarction
A myocardial infarction occurs when the heart does not receive enough blood. Captopril has the ability to dilate the arteries and allow greater fluidity in them , reducing the risk of suffering a myocardial infarction or a recurrence of it.
Note: Captopril is indicated above all in patients with ventricular dysfunctions . (3)
4. Diabetic nephropathy
Diabetic nephropathy is the alteration produced in the kidneys as a consequence of diabetes, generating complications that reduce the patient’s quality of life .
To highlight: Captopril is indicated as a treatment with a recommended daily dose of 100 mg, allowing to reduce progressive damage thanks to its inhibitory effect on an angiotensin converting enzyme. (4)
Captopril Side Effects
All medicines have stipulated possible side effects, which may appear during the consumption of a drug in medical treatment. We mention below those of captopril for your knowledge and identification:
- Rashes, tachycardia and pancreatitis.
- Cough , anemia and blurred vision.
- Sexual impotence, drowsiness and confusion.
- Nervousness, rhinitis and depression .
Important: If side effects occur and do not disappear after stopping treatment, it is important to seek medical assistance for information and attention.
Contraindications of captopril
Contraindications are factors that we must take into account to reduce the risks of adverse reactions . We mention those of captopril below:
- Its consumption is not recommended if you are allergic or hypersensitive to any of the components of the drug.
- Do not indicate if the patient has kidney failure or liver failure.
- Use in patients suffering from hypotension is not recommended.
- Do not indicate whether there is any angioneurotic edema (inflammation under the skin), whether hereditary or idiopathic.
You should know: It is necessary to indicate the medical history, so that the health professional can establish a pertinent and adequate treatment .
- Captopril is a drug indicated for the treatment of diseases of a cardiac nature and renal functions.
- The initial dose of captopril is usually 25 mg and can gradually reach a maximum of 450 mg per day .
- Captopril allows the control of blood pressure, accompanied by a supplementation in the diet with the restriction of certain foods.
- Captopril is a medication that allows the prevention of cardiovascular failures and improves the quality of life of patients.