What is bromazepam?
Bronepam is asynthetic drug that belongs to the group of benzodiazepines, which acts on theCentral Nervous System (CNS), specifically in the center ofemotions, increasing the activity ofgamma-aminobutyric acidin the brain, producing in patients ahypnotic, anticonvulsant, sedative, muscle relaxant and amnesic action. (1)
Its active ingredient is bromazepam, presented in capsules of 1.5 mg and 3 mg, accompanied by other components such as lactose monohydrate and cornstarch. Its administration is done in low doses, but it is adjusted according to the pathology that is going to be treated orally and its effect is of short duration. The recommendation on the maximum dose of bromazepam per day will beat the discretion of the attending physician.
Important: Due to the characteristics of this medicine, it should only beadministered under a prescription.
What is bromazepam used for?
Benzodiazepines such as bromazepam are indicated for the treatment of pathologies caused by CNS disorders such as:
1. Anxiety and nervousness
Anxiety and nervousness can be described as the loss of psychological tranquility of people due to an extreme state of restlessness, intense excitement and extreme insecurity. (two)
For these cases, anxiolytic drugs such as benzodiazepines help control states of anxiety and nervousness , essentially in adults.
You should know:Scientific trials describes theeffectiveness of bromazepam as an anxiolytic drug. (3)
2. Heart and respiratory conditions
Panic attacks, anxiety and nervousness, alter the rest of the organic systemsof our body. In the case of the circulatory system, the alert signal produced by the psychological state of anxiety cantemporarilycause tachycardia and elevated blood pressure.
In the same way, when anxiety manifests itself excessively, it Alters the respiratory rate , sometimes causing sensations of suffocation.
To highlight: Bromazepam in low doses acts as an anxiolytic, it can contribute to the relief of symptoms of anxiety states such as hypertension and tachycardia. (4)
3. Gastrointestinal and genitourinary disorders
Emotional imbalances directly affect gastrointestinal function , causing discomfort such as irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, among others.
In the same way, states of emotional lack of control manifested through anxiety alter the normal functioning of the organs of the genitourinary system , being able to cause episodes of urinary incontinence, for example.
You should know: The anxiolytic effect of benzodiazepines helps to control and relieve physiological alterations that affect the digestive and urinary systems. (5)
bromazepam side effects
The consumption of this medication can cause the following side effects in some patients :
- Allergic drug reactions, due to any of the components of bromazepam.
- May present risk of respiratory depression.
- Physical and mental dependence.
- It can cause withdrawal syndrome and situations of temporary amnesia.
- Temporary increase in blood pressure and intraocular pressure.
- Cause drowsiness so it is recommended not to drive.
Important: If you observe any of the symptoms described or any other unspecified while taking bromazepam, stop using it and consult your doctor immediately .
Contraindications of bromazepam
The use of bromazepam (benzodiazepine) is contraindicated in the following situations:
- If you are sensitive to any of the ingredients in bromazepam.
- If you suffer from sleep apnea syndrome.
- If you are in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- If you are breast-feeding, as benzodiazepines have been shown to pass into breast milk.
- If you are under the influence of alcohol.
- In elderly patients with hepatic or renal insufficiency.
- In children under 6 years of age.
Important: Before starting treatment with bromazepam, you should tell your doctor in detail about your medical history .
- Bromazepam is a synthetic drug belonging to the group of benzodiazepines and considered a psychotropic.
- Its active principle is bromazepam, a synthetic drug that acts on the central nervous system , specifically on the limbic system.
- This medicine is indicated to mainly treat the symptoms of emotional disorders such as anxiety.
- The use of this medicine is delicate and must be prescribed and administered by a specialist doctor .
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.