What is Bonadoxine?
Bonadoxine is a medicine belonging to the group of antihistamines, developed by the pharmaceutical companyPfizer(1), whose active compounds are meclozine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride and lidocaine® in the case of the solution for injection.
The route of administration of this medicine can be oral or intramuscular, it can also be purchased in tablets, drops and syrup, all this will depend on the patient’s pathology, age and weight. This drug has different percentages of concentration in its compounds, depending on the presentation that is acquired.
Note: To treat motion sickness, vertigo, vomiting due to pregnancy, the presentation of 25 tablets containing 25 mg of meclozine hydrochloride and 50 mg of pyridoxine are usually recommended, as long as the 100 mg of medication is not exceeded daily.
What is bonadoxine for?
The combination of meclozine/pyridoxine 25/50 mg in daily doses is usually prescribed for pregnant women who experience vomiting, nausea and dizziness(2). Also, bonadoxine® is indicated as part of the treatment after radiation and chemotherapy, since it helps control its side effects.
To highlight: According to studies published by the Mexican Journal of Pediatrics(3) , the use of antihistamines in children with acute gastroenteritis is effective in reducing Vomiting while promoting rehydration.
On the other hand, the prescription of bonadoxina® to combat vertigo is usually recommended by a doctor, since the combination of the compounds that make up this medicine can decrease the response of the ear to movements , it is also the case of those who suffer from motion sickness (sickness from boat trips).
It should be noted that treatment with Bonadoxina® must be controlled by a specialist, especially when it comes to children and the elderly, since the doses and administration methods vary depending on the patient’s response once treatment is indicated.
Bonadoxin Side Effects
There are multiple benefits of this medicine, as long as it is taken under the supervision of a doctor , since if it is consumed without a prescription it can cause the following adverse effects:
- Dryness of the oral mucosa.
- Blurry vision.
Important: The consumption of alcohol together with Bonadoxina® should be avoided, since this could increase the presence of side effects.
Before Bonadoxina® is administered, it is important that the specialist Knows your medical history , especially in the following cases:
- Patients with known hypersensitivity to the compounds.
- People who suffer from urinary Retention .
- Patients with glaucoma and pyloric stenosis.
- Bonadoxine® is an Antihistamine Drug indicated to reduce the symptoms presented by nausea, vomiting, vertigo and dizziness .
- The most common presentation of bonadoxina® is in tablets of 25 mg of meclozine and 50 mg of pyridoxine , although it can also be purchased in drops, syrup and injectable solution.
- The administration of bonadoxina® in drivers should be avoided, since it can cause Drowsiness and blurred vision .
- The prescription of this medicine in pregnant or lactating women must be carried out by a specialist.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.