What is bactroban?
Bactroban is asynthetic drug with antibacterial properties, which used topicallyserves to treat superficial skin infectionscaused by mostGram-positive aerobic bacteria, includingmethicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. (1)
Its active ingredient ismupirocin, an antibiotic agent, whose mechanism of actionis to inhibit the bacterial synthesisof proteins preventing their reproduction. The presentation of this medicine is in ointmentor ointment of 20 mgfor cutaneous use and its dosage is to spreada small amountin the affected area (provided it is not very extensive).
Important: In some countries, bactroban can be purchased without a prescription but should be keptout of reach of childrenand avoidcontact with eyes and other mucous membranes.
Moreover, the recommended treatment in adults and children is 2 to3 times a dayfor a time that can range from5 to 10 days. If after 5 days no improvement is observed, the doctor must evaluate the diagnosis again.
What is bactroban for?
Bactroban is indicated for thetreatment of primary infections, such as impetigo, folliculitisand furunculosis as well as othersecondary infectionsincluding sometypes ofdermatitis such as atopic, eczematous and superinfected contact dermatitis and infected traumatic injuries.
You should know: Some scientific articles describe theeffectiveness of bactroban (mupirocin) in the treatment of skin infections. (2)
Side effects of bactroban
Treatment with bactroban may cause some of the followingside effects in certain patients:
- Allergic reactions to some of the components of bactroban such as swelling in the face or mouth, loss of consciousness and rarely gastrointestinal discomfort.
- It can cause localized burning at the application site, as well as erythema, pruritus, stinging and dryness.
Important: If during the use of bactroban you notice theappearance of any of the symptomsdescribed above or another not included in this list, discontinue its use and consult your doctor.
Contraindications of bactroban
The use of this drugis contraindicatedin any of the following cases:
- When the patient has sensitivity to some of the components of bactroban.
- In women during the period of pregnancy.
- It should not be used for ophthalmic or intranasal use.
- If you are using other medicines for cutaneous use.
You should know: It is advisable to make your doctor a review of your medical historybefore starting treatment with this antibiotic.
- Bactroban is a drugwith antibacterial properties.
- This medicine is usedtopically totreat skin infections caused by bacteria.
- Its active ingredient ismupirocin, a chemical agent that prevents the reproduction of the bacteria causing the infection.
- It is recommended that both the treatment and dosage of this medicinebe carried out by a specialist doctor.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.