What is sulfathiazole?
Sulfathiazoleis a chemical compound classified as an active ingredient, which belongs to the line of medicines with antibiotic effect and antimicrobial action toeliminate microorganisms that cause infections.
What is sulfathiazole for?
- Sulfathiazoleis an antibiotic that acts by blocking the biosynthesis of folic acid, essential for the synthesis of nucleic acids. This achieves the elimination of microorganismsresponsible for infections, especially in theskin.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of sulfathiazole
Sulfathiazole comes asa topical ointment and powder. The route of administration in both casesis cutaneousand the dosage for informational purposes may be as follows:
- The cream or ointment: Apply a layer on the area to be treated 1 to 3 mm thick, twice a day.
- Dust: Apply on the area to be treated only the necessary amount, at least twice a day.
What products contain sulfathiazole?
Some of the medicines that contain sulfathiazole are:
- Sulfathiazole + Lidocaine
- Sulfathiazole + sulfanilamide
- Phrastines®is an antibiotic medicine in powder form, which contains sulfathiazole among its ingredients.
- It is used in the treatment of skin infections caused by sensitive strains of Staphylococcus spp, Streptococcus spp .
Sulfathiazole + Lidocaine
- The combination of sulfathiazole + Lidocaine works as a synthetic chemotherapeutic agent, derived from para-aminobenzenesulfonamide, and in turn as a local anesthetic.
- It is used for the topical treatment of acute and/or chronic inflammation of the ear, otalgia, to relieve ear pain and acts as an antiseptic for the ear canal.
Sulfathiazole + sulfanilamide
- The combination of sulfathiazole + sulfanilamide works as a topical chemotherapy drug , which comes in powder form.
- It is used to treat skin infections of bacterial origin , furunculosis, pyodermitis, impetigo, among other conditions.
Sulfathiazole Side Effects
Therapeutic treatment with sulfathiazole Can cause some of the following adverse effects in certain patients:
- Allergic reactions may appear due to contact with any component of the formula.
- May cause Vomiting , nausea, and diarrhea .
- Headache, seizures, and fever .
- Redness, itching and skin damage.
- In isolated cases, a patient with anemia may appear.
Important: In the case of observing any of these effects or another not included in the list, stop using it and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of sulfathiazole
The use of sulfathiazole is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the formula’s components.
- Patients with hereditary blood diseases.
- People with kidney problems or severe liver damage.
- During the pregnancy period.
- During the Breastfeeding
To be highlighted: Before starting treatment with sulfathiazole, provide all Information about your medical history to your doctor.
Avoid if you have:
- History of allergic reactions with sulfathiazole.
- Pharmaceutical products such as sulfathiazole must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- You should avoid contact of this medication with your eyes and mouth.
- This product must be kept out of the reach of children.
- You should avoid taking sulfathiazole to prevent states of intoxication.
- Do not mix with other medications for topical use.