What is somazine?
Somazina® is the trademark of a synthetically manufactured dietary supplement that uses citicoline as its active substance , a chemical compound belonging to the line of neuroprotective drugs, with an effect on some conditions in the central nervous system (CNS) .
To highlight: This pharmaceutical product is produced in Spain by the company named Ferrer Internacional, SA and represented in Mexico by Ferrer Therapeutics, SA de CV
What is somazine used for?
- Thanks to the mechanism of action of its active principle, somazina® inhibits apoptosis and stimulates the synthesis of acetylcholine , preserving the neuronal energy reserve, an action that favors the prophylactic and stabilizing neuroprotective effect of the neuronal membrane.
- It is used to treat:
- Sequelae after traumatic brain injury and cerebrovascular accidents.
- Cerebral vascular insufficiency as an adjuvant.
- Difficulty concentrating, memory deficits, and gait or sleep disturbances .
- Senile cerebral insufficiency.
- The neuropsychic manifestations of senile involution.
- Decreased intellectual or mental performance.
- motor deficit.
Dosage and routes of administration of somazine
Somazine® presentations are boxed with coated tablets containing citicoline sodium equivalent to 500 mg of citicoline, 100 mg/ml oral solution drops , 1000 mg oral solution sachets , and 500 mg and 1000 mg ampoules injectable solution . The administration depending on the presentation is by oral, intravenous or intramuscular route and the dosage as a reference can be the following:
- Tablets: From 1 to 4 tablets depending on the severity of the pathology.
- Ampoules: Administer the indicated dose according to the medical diagnosis, intramuscularly or slowly intravenously.
- Oral solution drops: Administer the dose indicated according to the medical diagnosis, orally diluted in water with or without meals.
- Oral solution sachets: Dilute the content of the sachet in water and administer according to medical recommendation.
Somazine Side Effects
Data from clinical studies indicate that therapeutic treatment with somazine® may cause, in a certain patient population , some of the following adverse reactions:
- Allergic manifestations in the patient due to contact with any chemical component of the formula.
- Hallucinations , headache, vertigo and dizziness.
- Arterial hypertension, arterial hypotension.
- Nausea, vomiting , diarrhea and dyspnea.
- Flushing, urticaria, rashes, purpura, and edema.
Important: If the patient manifests any of these symptomatic changes during treatment with somazine®, please discontinue use and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of somazine
The use of somazina® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Patient hypersensitivity to the chemical components of the formula.
- Patients with hypertonia of the parasympathetic nervous system.
- During the pregnancy period.
- During breastfeeding .
- In children under 3 years of age.
You should know: Provide all the information related to your health history to your doctor, before starting treatment with this drug.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to citicoline or any of its excipients.
- Hypersensitivity to acetylsalicylic acid .
- Fructose intolerance.
- Pharmaceutical products such as somazine®, must be administered with prescription or medical prescription.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions while using this medication.
- Do not change the dose indicated by your doctor.
- It must be taken into account that this drug should not be administered together with medicines that contain meclofenoxate.
- Keep this product out of the reach of children.