What is the prototype?
Protopic® is a synthetic medicine in the form of a cream , ointment or ointment, formulated to treat certain skin conditions and whose active ingredient is tacrolimus monohydrate, a chemical compound with an immunomodulatory effect. (1)
Note: This medication is produced by the company named LEO Pharmaceutical Hellas SA (2)
What is the prototype used for?
- Protopic® is formulated to treat certain moderate to severe allergic skin reactions that do not respond to treatment with topical corticosteroid medications for symptom relief.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of protopic
The protopic® has several presentations according to the concentration of its active principle, being the following:
- Protopic® 0.1% Adult: To treat moderate to severe atopic dermatitis, apply a thin layer at least twice a day and twice a week as a preventative treatment. Consult your doctor regarding the duration of treatment.
- Protopic® 0.03% for children over 2 years and adults: To treat moderate or severe atopic dermatitis, apply a thin layer at least twice a week and consult your doctor regarding the duration of treatment.
Protopic Side Effects
Treatment with protopic® can cause in certain patients some of the following adverse effects :
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of protopic®.
- Irritation of eyes and mucous membranes.
- Contact dermatitis.
- Sensation of burning and itching in the applied area.
- Sensation of heat or pain.
- Rarely acne can occur .
- Possible development of skin cancer or lymphoma.
- Skin lesions.
Important: If any of these symptoms or one not included in the list appear, stop using it and tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Contraindications and warnings of the protopic
The use of protopic® is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of this medication.
- In patients with hereditary disease of the epidermal barrier, such as Netherton syndrome.
- In people with generalized erythroderma.
- In patients with swollen lymph nodes.
- In people with infected lesions.
- Do not use in children under 2 years of age.
- Do not use during pregnancy or lactation .
You should know: Provide your doctor with all the information about your health history, before starting treatment with protopic®.
Avoid if you have:
- Skin sensitivity.
- Liver failure.
- Some malignant skin disease.
- A weakened immune system.
- During treatment with drugs such as propicio®, sun exposure should be avoided.
- Tacrolimus-based products should be kept out of the reach of children.
- Keep the dose and the indications given by your doctor.
- It is recommended that the administration of this medication be with prescription or medical prescription.