What is presistin?
Presistin® is a synthetic medicine that uses cisapride as an active ingredient, a chemical compound that belongs to the line of gastrointestinal prokinetic drugs, with localized effect on the smooth muscles of the digestive tract. (1)
To highlight: This drug is commercially manufactured by the pharmaceutical company namedLABORATORIOS MAVER S.A. de C.V. (2)
What is presistin for?
- Thanks to the mechanism of action of its active ingredient, presistin®works as an agonist of serotonin receptorsand physiologically increases the release of acetylcholine in the myenteric plexus, being effective in the treatment ofthe balance of motility of the gastrointestinal tract. (3)
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of presistin
The presentation of presistin® is usually in 10 mg tablets and in a 1 mg/ml suspensionin a 60 ml bottle. The administration of this medicine is orally and the dosage as a guide can be as follows:
- Adults: 5 to 10 mg 2 to 4 times a day is recommended.
- Children: With a weight between 25 and 50 kg, maximum 20 mg per day divided into 4 doses.
Presistin Side Effects
Clinical data indicate that treatment with presistin® may cause some of the following adverse effects in a certain patient population:
- Hypersensitivity to any component of the formula.
- Abdominal cramps and diarrhea .
- Headache, vertigo, seizures and extrapyramidal effects.
- Increased urinary frequency and heart rate.
- Reversible abnormalities of liver function.
Important: If any of these symptoms appear during treatment with presistin®, please discontinue use and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of presistin
The use of presistin® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the formula’s components.
- In patients with known hypocalcaemia or hypomagnesaemia.
- People with clinically significant bradycardias.
- Children less than 2 months old.
- During the first trimester of pregnancy or while Breastfeeding .
- If you are being medicated with other drugs for other pathologies without the authorization of the treating physician.
You should know: This medication is of delicate use, so you must provide all the information about your medical history to your doctor, before starting treatment with this drug.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to cisapride.
- History of cardiac disorders with prolongation of the QT interval.
- Family history of congenital long QT syndrome.
- History of kidney failure.
- Severe dehydration, vomiting , eating disorders.
- Cardiac arrhythmia.
- This product should not be administered without prescription or prescription.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions during treatment with cisapride.
- Patients suspected of presenting risk factors for cardiac arrhythmias should be previously evaluated by a specialist physician.
- Pharmaceutical products such as presistin® should be kept out of the reach of children.
- Avoid self-medicating.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.