What is pinaverium bromide?
Pinaverium bromide is a synthetic drug belonging to the group of sedatives and antispasmodics , used to treat disorders of the gastrointestinal system. It is a calcium antagonist, which acts to selectively inhibit the contraction of smooth muscle in the digestive tract, causing a relaxing effect. (1)
What is pinaverium bromide used for?
- Pinaverium bromide is formulated for the symptomatic treatment of pain , intestinal transit disorders and discomfort associated with intestinal functional alterations, thanks to its spasmolytic effect.
- It is used to treat:
Doses and routes of administration of pinaverium bromide
The presentation of pinaverium bromide will depend on the laboratory that markets it, however it generally comes in 50 and 100 mg film-coated tablets or tablets . The dosage and administration of pinaverium bromide is as follows, however consultation with a doctor is recommended :
- 50 mg tablet: In adults and children over 12 years of age, one tablet every 6 or 8 hours orally with water , without chewing and at least 15 minutes before meals.
- 100 mg tablet: In adults and children over 12 years of age, one tablet every 12 hours orally with water, without chewing and at least 15 minutes before meals.
What products contain pinaverium bromide?
Some of the medicines that contain pinaverium bromide are:
- Alevian Duo®
- This medicine contains 100 mg of pinaverium bromide and 300 mg of dimethicone in a box of 12 tablets.
- Dicetel® is indicated for the treatment of pain, intestinal transit disorders and discomfort related to functional intestinal disorders.
- It is also used in the treatment of pain related to functional disorders of the bile ducts and in preparation for barium enema.
- This medicine contains 100 mg of pinaverium bromide and simethicone, equivalent to 300 mg dimethicone in presentation per box.
- It has an antispasmodic effect, regulates intestinal transit and antiflatulent , indicated to treat the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and other non-specific intestinal dysfunctions.
- For more information about this medicine see What is the alevian duo and what is it for? .
- This drug is formulated with 100 mg of pinaverium bromide and simethicone equivalent to 300 mg of dimethicone, in presentation per box.
- It is indicated to treat irritable bowel syndrome in any of its subtypes and non-specific intestinal dysfunction.
- This drug contains pinaverium bromide 100 mg and dimethicone 300 mg in box presentation.
- It is indicated for the symptomatic treatment of pain, intestinal transit disorders and discomfort related to functional intestinal disorders, mainly in irritable bowel syndrome.
Pinaverium Bromide Side Effects
The consumption of pinaverium bromide can cause some of the following adverse reactions in certain patients :
- Allergic reactions due to contact with any of the components of this drug.
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea and nausea.
- Vomiting and dysphagia.
- Possible skin effects such as rash, pruritus, urticaria and erythema.
Important: Before starting treatment with pinaverium bromide, ask your doctor for more detailed information about this type of drug.
Contraindications and warnings of pinaverium bromide
This medicine is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Hypersensitivity to the components of pinaverium bromide.
- Do not administer during pregnancy, especially during its term.
- It should not be administered during the lactation period.
Avoid if you have:
- You drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Medication with other anticholinergic drugs.
- Administer in children only under medical supervision.
- Administer at least 15 minutes before meals.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.