What is phenylephrine?
Phenylephrine is a type of active substance ofsympathomimetic amine (direct agonist of the sympathetic system) and vasoconstriction, which has the characteristic of being vasopressor, dilating and decongestant.
Note: Phenylephrine is applicable in different treatments indicated by a specific doctor, since its functions extend to various conditions or particular conditions.
What is phenylephrine for?
- Phenylephrine is a vasoconstrictor (which promotes constriction in blood vessels) adrenergic agonist, that is, it has an effect similar to theadrenalineh ormone and balances peripheral resistance without having a direct activity before the central nervous system.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of phenylephrine
Phenylephrine hydrochloride comes as aform of intravenous, intramuscular, or subcutaneous solutions for injection, always from a trained medical professional. The doses in which it is usually administered in adults are the following for informational purposes:
- Intravenous: One injection of 0.2 mg to a maximum of 0.5 mg.
- Intramuscular or subcutaneous: Injections ranging from 1 mg to 5 mg maximum. The initial doses indicated are always 2 mg.
To highlight: Phenylephrine can take from 10 minutes to 15 minutes to fully act on the system when they are intramuscular or subcutaneous injections, but they have a long duration of 1 to 2 hours.
What products contain phenylephrine?
Some of the medicines that contain phenylephrine are:
- Laritol D®.
- It will feel®.
- Phenylephrin® is a vasoconstriction medication , marketed by Rinque Pharma laboratories . (two)
- It is administered by solution intravenously, subcutaneously, intramuscularly and also injectable glucose solution.
- It is composed of phenylephrine hydrochloride and is also a sterile vehicle for sodium chloride. (3)
- Laritol D® is a commercial product manufactured by Maver Products Laboratories . (4)
- It is made with the active compounds of phenylephrine and loratadine , adding Antihistamine Characteristics , ideal for Runny Nose and rhinitis.
- It is in the form of a syrup with an oral administration route .
It will feel®
- Sensibit® is a commercial medicine made by Liomont Laboratories . (5)
- It is a drug manufactured with the diversity of metabolites that are phenylephrine, paracetamol and loratadine.
- It works to Relieve the Flu, Runny Nose, Headaches, and also excess mucus or nasal congestion.
- agrifen® is a commercial product from the PiSA laboratories line . (6)
- It is a mixture of the metabolites of paracetamol, chlorphenamine, phenylephrine and caffeine, being antipyretic and also an effective analgesic .
- It becomes fully absorbed in about 30 minutes to 1 hour and works for nasal congestion and fever .
- For more information about this medicine, see Agrifen: What is it and what is it used for? .
Phenylephrine Side Effects
Phenylephrine is a well-tolerated substance in the body, however, like many drugs, it can cause moderate or peculiar adverse reactionstag. Among the side effects of phenylephrine are the following:
- Urinary retention .
Important: If you experience any of the effects mentioned above or one not included in the list, stop using the medication and consult a health professional.
Contraindications and warnings of phenylephrine
Due to certain unwanted interactions, phenylephrine is contraindicated in a certain number of patients, who may react negatively to treatment with this drug. Therefore, it is not recommended in the following cases:
- Pediatric patients.
- Hypersensitivity to the medical formula.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Renal insufficiency.
- Heart failure.
Avoid if you have:
- Diabetes mellitus.
- constant tachycardia.
- Closed-angle glaucoma.
- Phenylephrine should always be administered under the supervision of a specialist doctor.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
- This drug should be kept in a dry and cool place.
- Phenylephrine should not be used in patients with cerebrovascular disease or recent brain hemorrhage.