Penicillin is an active ingredient of natural or synthetic origin, used by medical science as abroad-spectrum antibiotic drugthat belongs to the line of antibacterial drugs called beta-lactam antibiotics, to treat patientswith infections in the body. (1)
Note: Natural penicillins can be differentiated into penicillinG (benzylpenicillin) and penicillin V.
What is penicillin for?
- Penicillin is used tostop the growth and development of sensitive bacteria, through a mechanism that prevents the synthesis of the cell wall of microorganisms, by inhibiting transpeptidase enzymes. With this it is possibleto stop some infectious process, which causes diseases in some patients.
- It is used to treat:
Penicillin dosage and routes of administration
The presentation of this medicine is ininjection with penicillin content in different concentrations and intablets of 250 mg and 500 mg. The route of administration isintramuscular or intravenousand the dose will depend on the characteristics of the pathology to be treated and the judgment of the attending physician, however the following can be used for informational purposes:
- Tablets: 125 mg to 500 mg every 6 to 8 hours depending on the clinical indication and the weight of the patient.
- Adult injection: For the treatment of pharyngotonsillitis , scarlet fever, impetigo. erysipelas and upper respiratory system, a dose of 1,200,000 U.
- Children injection:For the treatment of pharyngotonsillitis, scarlet fever, impetigo. erysipelas and upper respiratory system, a dose of 600,000 U.
- Adult injection for treatment of recent syphilis: 2,400,000 U distributing half in each buttock simultaneously and in children 1,200,000 U distributing half in each buttock simultaneously.
What products contain penicillin?
Some of the medicines that contain penicillin are:
- Benzetacil® is an Injectable Medicine that contains benzathine benzylpenicillin, an antibiotic that belongs to the penicillin family.
- It is used to treat bacterial infections .
- Penibiot® is an antibiotic drug, made from sodium benzylpenicillin of 1,000,000 U
- It is indicated for the treatment of infections caused by germs sensitive to sodium benzylpenicillin.
- Penilevel® is an Antibiotic Medicine that contains phenoxymethylpenicillin as an active ingredient in 500 mg capsules.
- It is used in the treatment of some infections caused by bacteria by acting on some specific strains.
- Sodiumopen® is a drug in the form of an injectable solution , which contains 2,000,000 U of benzylpenicillin.
- It is used to treat serious infections in different organs of the human body.
side effects of penicillin
According to clinical data, penicillin can cause some of the following adverse effects in certain patients :
- Possible allergic reactions to the drug.
- Skin rashes and exfoliative dermatitis.
- Laryngeal edema, fever and eosinophilia.
- Hemolytic anemia, leukopenia and thrombocytopenia.
- Neuropathy and nephropathy.
Important: Please stop using it and consult your doctor if any of these symptoms or other symptoms not included in the list appear during treatment with penicillin.
Contraindications and warnings of penicillin
The use of penicillin is contraindicated in any of the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to penicillins.
- Patients with angioneurotic edema.
- People with serum sickness and interstitial nephritis.
- During breastfeeding .
To emphasize: Provide all Information about your health history to your doctor, before starting treatment with penicillin.
Avoid it if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to penicillins or cephalosporins.
- Hay fever.
- Severe kidney failure.
- Do not give this medication without prescription or prescription.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions when taking penicillin.
- Intra-arterial injection of penicillin causes extensive necrosis, especially in children.
- This product must be kept out of the reach of children.
- Drugs such as penicillin are not indicated for infections caused by viruses.
- Keep this medication stored in a cool, dry place.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.