What is oroxadin?
Oroxadin® is the registered trademark of a pharmaceutical -manufactured medication that contains ciprofibrate (1) as its main active ingredient , a chemical compound belonging to the line of medications with lipid-lowering properties, with an effect on blood lipid levels .
To highlight: This medication is produced by the company named SANOFI-AVENTIS DE MÉXICO, SA de CV (2)
What is oroxadin used for?
- Thanks to the mechanism of action of its active principle, oroxadin® acts to inhibit the hepatic biosynthesis of cholesterol , inducing the reduction of plasma cholesterol and triglycerides , an action that is attributed to the reduction of low-density atherogenic fractions. This balances blood lipid levels in patients with dyslipidemia problems.
- It is used to treat:
- Severe isolated hypertriglyceridemia.
- Mixed hyperlipidemia such as the combination of low HDL cholesterol, elevated triglycerides, and elevated apolipoprotein A levels, hypercholesterolemia, and other combined forms. (3)
Dosage and routes of administration of oroxadin
The presentation of oroxadin® is in the form of a box with 30 capsules, which contain 100 mg ciprofibrate. This medication is administered orally and its referential dosage may be as follows:
- Adults: The indicated dose is usually 1 capsule of 100 mg daily, as directed by your doctor.
Oroxadin Side Effects
Results of clinical studies have described that treatment with oroxadin® has caused some of the following adverse effects in a certain group of patients :
- Possible allergic reactions due to patient contact with any of the components of the formula.
- Urticaria, pruritus, photosensitivity reaction and eczema.
- Headache , dizziness, drowsiness and vertigo.
- Pneumonitis and pulmonary fibrosis.
- Nausea, vomiting , diarrhea , dyspepsia, and abdominal pain .
- Fatigue, myalgia, alopecia, erectile dysfunction.
- Myositis, myopathy and rhabdomyolysis.
Important: If any of these symptoms appear during treatment with this drug, please discontinue use and consult your doctor.
Oroxadin contraindications and warnings
The use of oroxadin® is contraindicated in any of the following cases mentioned below:
- Hypersensitivity of the patient to any of the components of the drug.
- Patients suffering from glucose or lactose malabsorption syndrome .
- People with severe kidney failure.
- In the case of patients with galactosemia, cholestasis, cytolysis and cholelithiasis.
- Impaired liver function.
- During the pregnancy period.
- Patients with lactase deficiency.
- During breastfeeding .
- In any hypoalbuminemia situation, such as nephrotic syndrome.
You should know: Provide your doctor with all available information regarding your health history , before starting treatment with this medication.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to ciprofibrate or any other medication in the fibrate group.
- Pharmaceutical products such as oroxadin® must be administered with prescription or medical prescription.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions while using this drug.
- Do not exceed the dose recommended by your doctor.
- Do not take this drug in combination with other fibrate drugs.
- Keep this product out of the reach of children.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.