What is nifuroxazide?
Nifuroxazide is a synthetic medication with antiseptic and bacteriostatic properties, which helps against bacterial infections in the gastrointestinal tract that cause discomfort such asdiarrhea.
What is nifuroxazide for?
- Nifuroxazidehas action as an intestinal antiseptic, preventing the proliferation of bacteria through the inhibition of ATP synthesis, blocking enzyme systems at the level of the bacterial Krebs cycle, a mechanism that does not kill the bacteriabut prevents its development and proliferation, causing its death by old age.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of nifuroxazide
The commercial presentation of nifuroxazide is incapsules of 200 mg and 400 mgin boxes of 16 and 32 units and in suspension in bottles of 90 and 120 ml. The route of administrationin both cases is oraland the dosage for information purposes may be as follows:
- Tablets: Children over 6 years, take 1 capsule of 200 mg every 6 hours for 5 days. Children over 12 years and adults, take 2 capsules of 200 mg every 12 hours for 5 days or 1capsule of 400 mg every 12 hoursfor 5 days.
- Suspension: Infants from 6 months to 6 years, 5 ml 3 times a day every 8 hours. Children from 6 to 12 years, 5 ml 4 times a day.
What products contain nifuroxazide?
Some of the medicines that contain nifuroxazide are:
- The medicine named akabar®, is a chemical compound whose active ingredient is nifuroxazide in the form of tablets and suspension.
- It is indicated to treat acute, subacute and chronic diarrhea of bacillary or infectious origin.
- Eskapar® is a synthetic medicine, whose active component is nifuroxazide in the form of tablets and suspension, which works as an intestinal antiseptic and antidiarrheal.
- This drug is indicated for the treatment of diarrheal processes and traveler’s diarrhea.
- Topron® is a synthetic drug that is considered a broad-spectrum antibacterial agent that acts at the intestinal level, because it contains nifuroxazide.
- This drug is indicated for the treatment of diarrhea of any etiology.
- For more information about this medicine, see What is topron and what is it used for? .
- Braxigort® is a drug that contains nifuroxazide as an active ingredient in suspension form, with intestinal antiseptic properties and local bacteriostatic action.
- It is used in the treatment of acute and subacute bacterial diarrhea, produced by susceptible germs.
Nifuroxazide Side Effects
Treatment with nifuroxazide may cause some of the following Adverse reactions in certain people :
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Puke .
- Abdominal pain.
Important: Discontinue use and consult your doctor, if any of these symptoms appear with the use of nifuroxazide.
Contraindications and warnings of nifuroxazide
Treatment with nifuroxazide is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of nifuroxazide.
- Severe renal failure.
To highlight: It is advisable to provide your doctor with all the information about your health history, before starting treatment with nifuroxazide.
Avoid if you have:
- fever .
- Moderate renal failure.
- Nifuroxazide tablets should not be administered to children under 6 years of age.
- During pregnancy or lactation , nifuroxazide must have a prescription or prescription.
- This medicine should not be used for more than 5 days or exceed the indicated dose.
- Store this medication in a cool, dry place.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.