What is methylphenidate?
Methylphenidate is a pharmaceutically manufactured chemical compound cataloged as an active ingredient by medicine, belonging to the line of psychostimulant medications with an effect on some alterations of the central nervous system (CNS) . (1)
What is methylphenidate used for?
- Thanks to its mechanism of action, methylphenidate inhibits the reuptake of dopamine in the striatum , without causing its release. This action causes and improves the general behavior and quality of life of children with some type of disorder in concentration and attention.
- It is used to treat:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). (two)
Dosage and routes of administration of methylphenidate
Methylphenidate comes as extended-release tablets containing methylphenidate hydrochloride 10 mg. The administration is orally and the informative dosage can be as follows:
- ADHD: Children and adolescents over 6 years of age, 0.3 to 1 mg/kg/day, up to a maximum of 2 mg/kg/day, once or twice daily according to medical recommendation.
- Narcolepsy in adults: You can start with an initial dose of 10 mg two to three times a day, according to a doctor’s prescription.
What products contain methylphenidate?
Some of the medicines that contain methylphenidate are:
- Minfel® is the commercial brand of a synthetic drug that uses methylphenidate as an active ingredient in a concentration of 54.
- It is indicated as part of a comprehensive treatment program for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Ritalin® is the registered trademark of a psychostimulant drug, which uses methylphenidate hydrochloride as an active substance.
- It is used to treat hyperactivity disorder along with other medical conditions.
- Rubifen® is a synthetic drug that serves as a CNS stimulant in cases of behavioral disorders, which uses methylphenidate as the active substance.
- It is indicated for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and narcolepsy in adults.
- Aradix® is a synthetic medicine that uses methylphenidate as an active ingredient , a chemical compound with stimulating properties of the central nervous system.
- It is used as support therapy in attention deficit hyperactivity syndrome in children and adolescents.
Side Effects of Methylphenidate
Clinical studies indicate that treatment with methylphenidate may cause some of the following side effects in a certain patient population:
- Possible allergic reactions due to patient contact with any component of the formula.
- Abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting .
- Leukopenia, thrombocytopenia and anemia .
- Decreased appetite.
- Nervousness and insomnia .
- Anxiety , restlessness, sleep disorders and agitation.
- Dyskinesia, tremor, headache , drowsiness and dizziness.
- Tachycardia, palpitations, arrhythmias, variations in blood pressure and heart rate.
Important: If during treatment with this drug the patient shows any of these symptoms or another not included in the list, please stop using it and notify your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of methylphenidate
The use of methylphenidate is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Patient hypersensitivity to any of the components of the formula.
- Alcoholic patients, with anxiety, major depression , hypertension.
- People with psychosis, seizures, substance abuse.
- Individuals at risk of suicidal ideation, glaucoma, cardiac arrhythmias and severe angina pectoris.
- Patients with hyperthyroidism, heart failure, congenital heart disease.
- In patients under 6 years of age.
- During the pregnancy period.
- During breastfeeding .
To highlight: Provide your doctor with all the information regarding your health history, before starting treatment with this drug.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to the chemical components of the drug.
- Treatment with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors.
- Personal and family history of depression, bipolar disorder, or mania.
- Diagnosis or family history of Tourette ‘s syndrome .
- Pharmaceutical products such as methylphenidate must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- Avoid consuming alcoholic beverages with this drug.
- Avoid driving vehicles and precision machinery during treatment with this medicine.
- This medicine can cause dependency.
- The use of this drug can cause drowsiness and affect alertness.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.