What is magnesium valproate?
Magnesium valproateis an active substance used as amedicine by scientific medicine, which belongs to the line of drugs with broad-spectrum antiepileptic effects to treatsome disorders of thecentral nervous system (CNS). (1)
What is magnesium valproate for?
- Magnesium valproate orvalproic acidinhibits the enzymes responsible for degrading GABA (neurotransmitterthat interrupts the transmission of nerve impulses, which are sent between neurons) increasing their levels, decreasing those of excitatory amino acids and modifying potassium conductance. With this, it is possible tostabilize the alterations of excitatory neurotransmittersthat alter the functioning of the CNS.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of magnesium valproate
Valproic acid is sold as tablets containing 200 mg, 300 mg and 600 mg extended-release, in boxes of 10, 20, 30 and 60pieces. The route of administrationis oraland the dose as a reference may be as follows:
- Epileptic seizures: The recommended dose in children and adults is 15 mg/kg per day, increasing weekly by 10 mg/kg until seizures are controlled.
- Mood stabilizer and aggressive, destructive and agitated behaviors: Initial dose of 500 to 800 mg per day, depending on the etiology.
- Migraine prophylaxis: A dose of 800 to 1600 mg, divided into two or three doses in 24 hours, is recommended.
What products contain magnesium valproate?
Some of the medicines that contain magnesium valproate are:
- Depakote® is a chemical medicine that uses magnesium valproate as an active ingredient, which comes in tablets.
- It is used to treat seizure disorders and certain psychiatric conditions.
- The atemperator® is an antiepileptic drug that is sold in 200, 300 and 600 mg tablets containing valproic acid.
- It is indicated in the treatment of epileptic syndromes that occur with absences, myoclonus, photosensitive epilepsies and those that occur with multiple types of seizures such as epileptic encephalopathies.
- Depakene® is a commercial medicine that uses magnesium valproate as its main component, which is sold in tablets and syrups.
- It is indicated to treat primary generalized , convulsive, non-convulsive or absence, myoclonic and partial epilepsies with basic symptoms.
- Valcote® is a drug that is marketed in film-coated tablets containing 500 mg of magnesium valproate.
- It is indicated to treat acute manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar disorder, with or without psychotic features, epilepsies, and migraines.
Magnesium Valproate Side Effects
Treatment with magnesium valproate can cause some of the following side effects in certain patients :
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Nausea and vomiting .
- Diarrhea , abdominal colic and sometimes constipation .
- Anorexia, weight loss, increased appetite and body weight.
- Sedation, ataxia and headache.
- Nystagmus and diplopia.
- Tremor, dysarthria , dizziness and incoordination.
- Emotional disorders, depression , aggressiveness, psychosis and hyperactivity.
Important: In case any of these effects appear or another not included in the list, please stop using it and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of magnesium valproate
The use of magnesium valproate is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug.
- Patients with idiosyncrasy to magnesium valproate.
- Patients with liver disease or dysfunction.
- Women during the first trimester of pregnancy.
To emphasize: Provide all information about your medical history to your doctor, before starting treatment with magnesium valproate.
Avoid it if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to magnesium valproate.
- Liver damage.
- This pharmaceutical product must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- Maintain the dose indicated by your doctor, to avoid risk of hepatotoxicity.
- Do not administer this medication without proper medical supervision.
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children.
- Do not administer magnesium valproate together with other CNS depressant drugs.
- Keep stored in a cool dry place.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.