Throughout history, it is natural that we go through some ailments typical of age and that it is always advisable to go to the specialist to find out what is happening to us, but it is also convenient to know that drugs are not always required as treatment .
It has been shown that medicinal plants with their properties can be very beneficial for health. Among those plants is celery.
To highlight: Celery is a vegetable with a high fiber content, and a combination of vitamins and minerals that make it especially useful in the treatment of some conditions of the organism of circulatory, digestive and even psychic origin.
In the following article, we share valuable information about this wonderful plant.
What is celery?
Celery ( Apium graveolens ) is a plant with many medicinal properties and belongs to the Apiaceae (apiaceae) family , whose scientific name is Apium graveolens . The etymology of its name comes from the Celtic apon , which means water, and the epithet graveolens , meaning grave, and olens , meaning grave odor, due to its peculiar aroma. Its leaves have a beautiful green color.
Note: It is known by different names, among which are included: celery, aquatic celery, bastard celery, white celery, border celery, bravo celery, bravío celery, among others.
Among its chemical compounds, celery contains flavonoids, compounds with antioxidant activity and various biological functions (vasodilators, anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, immunostimulant, antiviral, among others), including myricetin, quercetin and kaempferol, luteolin and apigenin (1) .
To highlight: Contains small amounts of biologically active furanocoumarins, mainly xanthotoxin and bergapten, which may act in the prevention of cancer, and which have also been used in the treatment of some skin diseases such as vitiligo and psoriasis (2 ) .
On the other hand, celery seed oil contains phthalics that could have a preventive effect on carcinogenic processes. In addition, another natural phthalic from celery seed, sedanolide, is used as a remedy to treat inflammatory processes such as gout or rheumatism (3) .
Health benefits of celery
Next we are going to present you 12 benefits of celery, so that you know the great positive effects it has on our health.
1. Prevents cardiovascular diseases
Thanks to its high content of apigenin (4) , a natural flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps prevent the formation of atherosclerotic plaque, which causes arterial occlusion and heart attacks.
2. Lowers blood pressure
This vegetable can also be considered a weapon against high blood pressure. Helps improve blood circulation, thanks to a compound (phthalic) that relaxes the muscles around the arteries, facilitating blood flow and dilating blood vessels.
Note: Celery can also remove excess sodium through the urine and decrease the volume of blood flowing through the arteries.
In addition, according to the Medical Center of the University of Maryland , in the USA, celery is a natural diuretic, that is, it helps to eliminate excess water from the body through renal activity, which in turn , reduces the tension against the arterial walls and with it, the blood pressure.
To highlight: Therapeutic diet experts recommend celery salt as a substitute for sea salt for hypertensive people. It is obtained from the ground seeds, and gives salads and other dishes a pleasant flavor that does not make you miss the presence of salt.
3. Eliminates kidney and gallstones
Celery is high in vitamin A and B complex vitamins. This is one of the most powerful vegetables in terms of its diuretic and cleansing power, which is essential to prevent the formation of kidney stones.
4. Regulates intestinal transit
When consumed fresh and regularly enough, as part of a proper diet, it helps to improve intestinal transit and thus favor a good evacuation. For this reason, it is thought that it can be useful to combat constipation.
5. Helps reduce inflammation
This action to reduce inflammation and relax tissues is due to the polyacetylene present in celery, which contributes to eliminating toxins and also to weight loss. In addition, it offers relief in processes such as rheumatic arthritis.
Similarly, celery has the ability to inhibit the effects of an enzyme called xanthine oxidase, responsible for the production of uric acid, which causes joint inflammation in people suffering from gout.
Note: This property of polyacetylene that celery has to lose weight is an incredible relief for many types of inflammation, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis.
6. Helps eliminate toxins
Thanks to its diuretic function , it helps the body to get rid of impurities. Potassium and sodium in celery juice are powerful regulators of body fluids, which stimulate urine production to get rid of excess fluids and with it the toxins resulting from our body’s metabolic process.
7. Balances the menstrual cycle
Its content in vitamin C and folic acid helps to normalize menstruation, whether it is excessive or scarce.
8. Relieves symptoms of menopause
By having vitamin C and folic acid, celery is a powerful ally to alleviate the symptoms of menopause.
9. Contributes to weight loss
The high concentration of fiber and water that celery has makes the stomach satiated, making it ideal to introduce it into healthy diets for weight loss . In addition, when consuming it raw, it requires slow and conscious chewing, a change that greatly improves the quality of food, revitalizing our lives.
Highlight: Drinking celery juice throughout the day helps curb cravings for sweets and junk food. It fills you up without making you gain body weight. This is one of the most important benefits of celery for weight loss that exists.
10. Reduces stress and anxiety
Minerals and essential oils have a powerful relaxing effect on the nervous system , which makes it ideal for those who suffer from insomnia. The high magnesium content helps to relax and have a restful sleep.
11. Fight insomnia
Celery contains sedative effects, being an excellent food to strengthen the nervous system and to fall asleep. A home remedy to get a restful sleep is to drink celery juice with honey at night.
12. Prevents some types of cancer
Apigenin weakens contaminated cells and helps them purify themselves back to normal without the risk of spreading cancer. In addition , its consumption can also prevent malignant tumors from forming.
To highlight: Scientists from the University of Missouri indicate that celery can be a good ally against cancer thanks to apigenin which weakens, reduces and prevents the expansion of cancer cells (5) .
This same study showed that this substance (apigenin) narrows the blood vessels responsible for feeding cancer cells and restricts the flow of nutrients to tumors, thus limiting their ability to spread.
Celery stands out more for its satiating and dietary properties than for its macronutrient content. It has a low calorie content, providing few carbohydrates and proteins, however its special combination makes it attractive for therapeutic treatments.
Vitamins C and E stand out, although the amount of these nutrients is insignificant when compared to the average for vegetables. It also contains Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folates and Vitamin A.
The minerals with the greatest presence in its composition are potassium and magnesium, as well as calcium, sodium and iron, although in smaller proportions.
It is also rich in nutrients with an antioxidant effect such as polyphenols, tannins and flavonoids.
Regarding fiber, celery is a discreet source.
Contains 16 calories. for each portion of 100 grams.
How to consume celery?
There are many options when it comes to consuming this wonderful vegetable. They have their benefits since it is an ancient remedy and used with great success for generations. We will give you some suggestions of recipes for your daily diet and how to prepare them:
In addition to promoting weight loss through the diuretic effect it exerts on our body, celery also helps us lose weight, thanks to its high fiber content. Fiber gives us a feeling of satiety and stimulates the intestinal tract.
- Fresh celery stalks and leaves
- sweetener to taste
- Wash the celery well and cut the white base of the vegetable, so that you only have the stems and leaves.
- Bring the water to a boil and introduce the previous celery stalks, with their leaves. You should let it cook for half an hour over low heat.
- After time, strain the water and reserve it in glass containers. To lose weight, it is best to drink a celery tea in the morning, on an empty stomach, as soon as you get up, and another at night, before going to sleep.
- Add sweetener or honey to give it a smooth and pleasant taste
You can accompany this smoothie or replace it with your usual breakfast, since it produces a powerful effect on hunger and is very diuretic thanks to the apple and carrot. It is great for a weight loss diet.
- Wash the celery well and cut the white base of the vegetable, so that you only have the stems and leaves.
- Chop all the ingredients and add them to a mixer or blender, along with the water.
- Beat until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- You can add ice if you like it cold and also some sweetener if you like something sweeter.
It is a very healthy raw celery salad with eggs, lettuce and tomatoes to accompany a copious meal, dinner or if you want to lose weight due to all the properties of its ingredients.
- boiled eggs
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The first thing we have to do is wash the lettuce well, drain it and cut it into small pieces with our hands. We reserve it.
- Next, blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, stop cooking by immediately placing them in a bowl with ice water and remove the skin. Then cut them into large squares.
- Next, wash well and cut the celery leaves. Then remove the fibrous strips from the outer walls with the help of a knife or a peeler and cut the stems into slices. This is done to make the celery less fibrous and chewier in the salad.
- Apart in a container with boiling water, place the eggs for an approximate time of 10 to 12 minutes. After that time, take them out of the water and let them cool down. Then remove the shell and cut them into slices and place them in a container.
- Peel the skin of the onion and cut it into slices.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, leaving the eggs last.
- Season with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Celery is a plant with many medicinal properties. It is known by different names, among which are included: celery, aquatic celery, bastard celery, white celery, border celery, bravo celery, bravío celery, among others.
- This vegetable provides many benefits to our health, among them: Eliminates kidney and gallstones, regulates intestinal transit, prevents cardiovascular diseases, lowers blood pressure, contributes to weight loss, fights insomnia, reduces stress and anxiety, among other benefits.
- Celery stands out more for its satiating and dietary properties than for its macronutrient content. However, we must emphasize that it is rich in Vitamins C and E among others such as vitamin B6 and A. It is also rich in minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium and iron. It is also low in calories.
- It can be consumed in 3 ways: One of them is celery tea, it has a diuretic effect on our body and it also helps us lose weight, thanks to its high fiber content that gives us a feeling of satiety. It can also be consumed in a smoothie combined with other vegetables and/or fruits and in salads.