What is flunarizine?
Flunarizine is a synthetic medicineclassified as an active ingredient, which belongs to the group of medicines with calcium channel blocking properties, witheffect on certain conditions in the body. (1)
What is flunarizine for?
- Flunarizine thanks to its mechanism of action, prevents the overload of calcium in the blood vessels, preventing the contraction of the muscles and producing vasodilation.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of flunarizine
Flunarizine is usually sold in 5 and 10 mg capsulestag. The administrationis orally and the dosage as a reference, can be the following:
- Patients under 65 years of age: The indicated dose is one 10 mg tablet once a day and in patients over 65 years of age, a dose of 5 mg per day.
What products contain flunarizine?
Some of the medicines that contain flunarizine are:
- Buflin® is the trade name of a synthetic medicine that contains flunarizine as an active ingredient in a concentration of 10 mg.
- It is used in the prophylaxis of migraine in patients with severe and frequent attacks.
- Fasolan® is a synthetic brand-name drug that uses flunarizine as an active substance in a concentration of 10 mg.
- It is used as an aid in the prophylaxis of common migraine or classic migraine.
- Nafliuryl® is a synthetically manufactured medicine that uses flunarizine as the active ingredient and comes in 5 mg tablets.
- It is indicated in migraine syndrome , arteriovenous pain, circulatory deficiency.
- Sibelium® is a drug with calcium channel blocking properties, which uses flunarizine as an active ingredient.
- It is indicated in the prevention of migraine and to relieve the symptoms of vestibular vertigo.
Flunarizine Side Effects
Clinical data indicate that treatment with flunarizine may cause, in a certain patient population , some of the following adverse effects:
- Adverse reactions due to patient contact with any of the components of the formula.
- Increased body weight and/or increased appetite.
- Drowsiness, depression and/or fatigue.
- Extrapyramidal reaction, parkinsonism.
- Rigidity, orofacial dyskinesia, tremors.
Important: If any of these symptoms or other symptoms not included in this list appear during treatment with flunarizine, please discontinue use and notify your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of flunarizine
The use of flunarizine is contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the formula or to cinnarizine .
- Patients with recent cerebral hemorrhage and extrapyramidal symptoms.
- in patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- During the first trimester of pregnancy.
- During breastfeeding .
You should know: Before starting treatment with this drug, provide all the information regarding your medical history to your doctor.
Avoid it if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to flunarizine or cinnarizine.
- History of depressive illnesses.
- Pre-existing symptoms of Parkinson’s or other conditions.
- Glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy or liver failure.
- Products such as flunarizine must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- It should be noted that a dose adjustment should be made in cases of renal insufficiency and in the elderly.
- Concomitant use of flunarizine with other drugs has caused a decrease in its plasma levels.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
- Store this product in a cool, dry place.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.