Do you want to learn in a few minutes what are the foods that will allow you to have a healthier diet? Keep reading that I will teach you what the glycemic index consists of, and how you can take advantage of it to efficiently organize your eating plan.
What is the glycemic index?
It is a kind of dimensionless system that was developed in 1981 thanks to Doctor J. Jenkins and his team; It is used to measure the speed at which a food is absorbed by the body and is converted into glucose. The higher the glycemic index, the faster the absorption and transformation of food into glucose, after being consumed.
What is the glycemic index used for?
It is particularly useful for people who want to more effectively control their diabetes , since by consuming foods that take time to be processed and turned into blood sugar, a stable condition can be more easily maintained throughout the day. This measure can also be used in order to make excellent eating plans for people who want to lose weight .
Why does the glycemic index work in a diet to reduce body fat?
When foods that raise blood sugar levels very quickly are consumed on a regular basis, losing weight is more complicated, because when glucose rises a lot, the body has to consume a greater amount of energy to generate insulin, in order to of lowering high glucose levels, then the body to replenish the energy consumed makes you hungrier.
What I want to share with you now is a list of 7 foods that have a low glycemic index, which will be very useful for you to organize your diet in a much more intelligent way:
It has a glycemic index of 45.
Among the nutrients of the grape, iodine, phosphoric, vitamin C , tartaric acid, tannin and malic stand out.
Benefits of consuming grapes regularly
- Improves cardiovascular health: this is due to the nutrients in the grape, since they serve to effectively dilate the body’s blood vessels, thus achieving the important goal of preventing the appearance of blood clots.
- Treats degenerative diseases: the large amount of antioxidants that grapes have is ideal for taking care of the state of the body in a better way.
- Excellent diuretic: this property is important since it serves to accelerate the process of elimination of salts and uric acid in the body.
There is no doubt that grapes are very beneficial fruits, but is grape seed oil harmful to your health? Find out!
2. Grapefruit or grapefruit
It has a glycemic index of 30.
Grapefruit is very easy to find in stores. The nutrients it contains are the following: fiber, vitamin C, quercetin, naringenin, naringin, magnesium, potassium , carotenoids, folic acid, citric acid, tartaric, oxalic and malic acid.
Benefits of consuming grapefruit on a regular basis
- Improvement of the immune system: The folic acid that it has serves to improve the production of white blood cells and red blood cells.
- Reduces cholesterol levels: Grapefruit fiber positively influences cholesterol levels. If you are having trouble controlling your cholesterol level , it is a good idea to start consuming grapefruit more regularly and thus get better results.
Go ahead and discover these 10 benefits of grapefruit or grapefruit proven by science .
It has a glycemic index of 39.
The apple is very tasty food, and you can also prepare many homemade desserts with it.
Among the nutrients of the apple, we can mention: quercetin, pectin, malic acid and flavonoids.
Benefits of consuming apples on a regular basis
- Combat constipation: the large amount of fiber that the apple has improves the functioning of the digestive system, which makes it very effective in treating cases of constipation .
- Lowers bad cholesterol: one of the functions that pectin fulfills is to capture and mitigate LDL (low-density lipoprotein) or “bad” cholesterol that is found in high amounts.
The apple is very popular all over the world, and it can also give you these 4 unmissable properties of apples (#2 you will love) .
It has a glycemic index of 15.
The walnut is a type of dried fruit. There are different nuts that you can start eating more often to effectively take advantage of the benefits they give you. Apart from the walnut there are almonds , pistachios , hazelnuts, cashews and many more.
One of the best nuts you can consume is the walnut because of its low glycemic index.
Benefits of consuming nuts on a regular basis
- Improves mental health: it has antioxidants, vitamin E, folic acid and other nutrients that improve cognitive ability and treats oxidative stress, the latter of which has been linked to premature aging.
- Ally to treat diabetes: the healthy fat found in walnuts has a positive influence on blood glucose levels in people with diabetes.
- Lose weight: by eating nuts hunger tends to decrease, so if a person wants to lose body weight, they can choose to eat nuts and thus eat better.
Do you know these 3 secret properties of nuts (#1 is my favorite) .
5. Plain yogurt
It has a glycemic index of 14.
Benefits of consuming natural yogurt on a regular basis
- Lower cholesterol levels: this happens because of the good amount of probiotics it has.
- Treat allergies: Probiotics also play a key role in this benefit.
Discover these other 3 benefits of yogurt consumption that you cannot miss .
It has a glycemic index of 38.
The tomato has vitamin A, vitamin B and vitamin C, low amount of fat, it also has potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
consuming tomatoes regularly
- Improves Digestion: The acidic organic salts and fiber in tomatoes is great for supporting the digestive process.
- Low in sodium: as it has a very low amount of sodium, it is ideal for people who have problems controlling their blood pressure .
It has a glycemic index of 35.
The nutrients found in the orange are: sodium, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin D, antioxidants, iron , amino acids and many more, which make it a great food.
Benefits of consuming oranges on a regular basis
- Helps lose weight: because it contains a low amount of calories and has a great taste; It is an ideal fruit for people who want to improve their physical condition.
- Protects from colds: its good amount of vitamin C is excellent when it comes to improving your immune system, since it makes it much stronger and thus you are less prone to colds.
Oranges have these other 4 secret orange properties that you did not know . Dare to discover them!
Did you like the list of foods with a low glycemic index that I have shared?
Start consuming them more often to enjoy the benefits they provide.