What is erispan?
Erispan® is a synthetic medication whose active principle is betamethasone , a chemical compound with an anti-inflammatory effect, belonging to the line of drugs called corticosteroids that is used to regulate the body’s autoimmune response.
To highlight: This medicine has a patent from the company named “MAVER Laboratories” . (1)
What is the erispan used for?
- Due to its mechanism of action, erispan® prevents and suppresses the manifestations that originate in inflammatory processes, which occur for various reasons in patients.
- It is used to treat:
- Covid 19. (2)
- Postoperative nausea and vomiting . (3)
- Rheumatic and collagen diseases, rheumatoid arthritis.
- Bacterial meningitis. (4)
- Wegener’s granulomatosis.
- Patients with dermatomyositis and polymyositis, polyarteritis nodosa, relapsing polychondritis, polymyalgia rheumatica.
- Dermatological diseases such as pemphigus and pemphigoid, exfoliative dermatitis , bullous dermatitis herpetiformis, among others.
- Patients with severe allergic conditions such as bronchial asthma, seasonal or perennial allergic rhinitis, atypical dermatitis, urticaria or other types.
- Acute optic neuritis.
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome. (5)
- Sarcoidosis, advanced pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis.
- Inflammatory muscle disorders such as fibrosis and myositis, which are responsive to corticosteroid treatment.
Dosage and routes of administration of erispan
The presentation of erispan® is in injectable solution per box with 1, 2 or 5 vials of 1 ml with 4 mg/ml with or without syringe; box with 1 vial of 2 ml with 8 mg/ml with or without syringe and box with 1 vial of 5 ml with 20 mg/ml with or without syringe.
The administration of this drug is intramuscularly or intravenously, as recommended by the treating physician and the dose for information may be as follows:
- Children from 1 to 5 years of age: It is recommended to start therapy with 2 mg of erispan® or according to the appreciation of the treating physician.
- Adults: One vial every 6 or 8 hours according to the appreciation of the treating physician.
Note: This dosage is general and the amount, dosage and duration of administration of erispan® should be decided by the treating physician.
erispan side effects
The use of erispan® can cause in certain patients some of the following adverse effects :
- Possible allergic reactions from contact with any component of the formula.
- Vertebral fractures.
- Peptic ulcer .
- Muscular weakness.
- Sodium retention .
- Potassium loss , fluid retention .
- Decreased appetite.
- Swelling, redness, itching, bumps, red dots on the skin.
- Possible seizures, vertigo and headache.
Important: If any of these symptoms appear during treatment with erispan®, please stop using it and notify your doctor.
Contraindications and warnings of erispan
Medications such as erispan® are contraindicated in the following circumstances:
- Hypersensitivity towards any of the components of the formula.
- Patients with coagulation problems.
- People who are being treated with anticoagulant drugs.
- In people who are allergic to local anesthetics.
- In women during the stage of pregnancy.
- During the lactation period .
- Patients who have fungal infections .
You should know: Provide all the information about your health history to your doctor, before starting treatment with erispan®.
Avoid if you have:
- Nonspecific ulcerative colitis
- Diverticulitis, recent intestinal anastomosis.
- Active or latent gastrointestinal ulcer.
- erosive esophagitis .
- Renal failure, congestive heart failure, hypertension, and myasthenia gravis.
- This pharmaceutical product should not be mixed with the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Drugs such as erispan® should be administered with caution in diabetic patients.
- Erispan® should not be administered simultaneously with acetylsalicylic acid or indomethacin .
- This medicine must be administered with prescription or medical prescription, avoid self-medication.
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children.