What is enalapril?
Enalapril is an active substance, which helps level chemicals related to the smooth muscles of blood vessels, the pumping of blood in the heart and blood flow through the kidneys. It is called an antihypertensive. (1)
What is enalapril for?
- Enalapril functions as an inhibitor of enzymes related to the chemical compounds angiotensin (II) and aldosterone. In addition to considerably reducing water or sodiumretention.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of enalapril
Enalapril commonly comes as 5 mg to 20 mg tablets with an oral route of administration. Although it can also be used intravenously, that is, injectable. Its various doses are as follows:
- Adults: Tablets from 5 mg to a maximum of 20 mg and an intravenous injection from 1 mg to maximum 2 mg.
- Children over 6 years old: Tablets from 2.5 mg (for children weighing up to 50 kg maximum) to 5 mg (for greater weight than 50 kg) or intravenous administration.
Note: Doses of enalapril are recommended to be administered mostly with food consumption.
What products contain enalapril?
Some of the medicines that contain enalapril are:
- Acetensil® is a commercial medicine from Aristo Pharma Iberia Laboratories(3) , which comes in the form of 28 enalapril maleate tablets of 20 mg.
- It is prescribed to inhibit the enzyme intended to stimulate the conversion of the substance angiotensin .
- This drug is commonly recommended by prescription, as it is used for long-term treatment.
- Clipto® is a commercial drug manufactured bySalvat Laboratories(4) presented in the form of 20 mg tablets of enalapril, which are recommended to be administered with food.
- It is used in the treatment of hypertension by reducing angiotensin II secretions and stabilizing blood pressure.
- It is not recommended to be administered during pregnancy or in a patient with renal insufficiency.
- presented in tablets with 20 mg of enalapril, but also
- It is prescribed to reduce the symptoms of hypertension and increase the amount of urine in diuretic treatments.
- It contains lactose, therefore there are patients who are intolerant to the drug .
- Baripril® is a drug marketed by Lesvi Laboratories(6) , which is commonly presented in the form of tablets with 5 mg of enalapril .
- It is an angiotensin receptor antagonist, lowering high blood pressure .
- It is preferable to consume this medicine with food to improve absorption and prevent adverse reactions.
enalapril side effects
Enalapril substances and medications produce different adverse effects , some of the most frequent being the following:
- Muscle cramps.
Important: If you experience any of the aforementioned adverse effects for a long time, stop using the medicine and consult your doctor.
Enalapril contraindications and warnings
There are certain warnings about the administration of enalapril, especially for a certain number of patients for whom it is not recommended to prescribe this substance. Therefore it is contraindicated in these cases:
- Hypersensitization to the active ingredient.
- Histories of angioedema.
- Decreased kidney function.
Avoid if you have:
- Lactose intolerance.
- Bilateral stenosis.
- Treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Symptomatic hypotension.
- It should not be used when you have a diet rich in potassium .
- There are no safe levels for its use in children under 6 years of age.
- Administration in combination with lithium is not recommended.