What is denvar?
Denvar® is the registered trademark of a pharmaceutical medicine that uses cefixime, a chemical compound belonging to the line of third-generation antibiotic medicines, as anactive ingredient, withan effect on some bacteria that cause infectionsin the body.
To highlight: This pharmaceutical product is made by the company namedMERCK, S.A. de C.V.
What is denvar for?
- Thanks to the mechanism of action of its active ingredient, denvar® is based on theinhibition of the synthesis of the bacterial wallcausing lysis and death of bacteria. This actionfavors the elimination of infections, caused in patients by pathogenic microorganisms. (2)
- It is used to treat:
- Upper respiratory tract infectionssuch assinusitis, pharyngitisand tonsillitis caused by Streptococcuspneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes, Haemophilus influenzae.
- Otolaryngology infections such as otitis media.
- Lower respiratory tract infections such as acute bronchitis, episodes of exacerbation of chronicbronchitisand pneumonia.
- Digestive tract and/or systemic infections and typhoidfever.
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections, caused byEscherichia coliandProteus mirabilis.
Dosage and routes of administration of denvar
The presentation of denvar®is in capsulescontaining cefixime 200 or 400 mg and suspension in bottle of 50 or 100 ml, containing cefixime trihydrate equivalent to cefixime 2 gr. The administrationis oralin both cases and the dosage will depend on the presentation, however as a reference it can be as follows:
- Denvar® 400 mg capsules: Adults and children over 12 years of age, 1 capsule of 400 mg every 24 hours and the duration of treatment will be determined by the treating physician.
- Denvar® suspension: The dose for children under 12 years of age is 8 mg/kg single dose per day, depending on the judgment of the treating physician.
Denvar Side Effects
Clinical studies indicate that treatment with denvar® may cause some of the following adverse effects in a certain patient population:
- Possible allergic reactions due to contact with any component of the formula.
- Itching, rash, hives.
- Diarrhea, abdominal pain , nausea or Vomiting , dyspepsia, flatulence, and pseudomembranous colitis .
- Thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, neutropenia and eosinophilia.
Important: If the patient during treatment with this drug presents any of these symptoms or another not included in the list, please stop using it and consult your doctor .
Contraindications and warnings of denvar
The use of denvar® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Patient hypersensitivity to cefixime or to antibiotics belonging to the group of cephalosporins or other beta-lactams.
- Patients with diarrhea during the use of this drug.
- During the period of pregnancy without medical supervision.
- In breastfeeding without medical supervision.
You should know: Before starting treatment with this medicine, the patient must provide all the information about his health history to his doctor.
Avoid if you have:
- History of hypersensitivity to cefixime, cephalosporins or other beta-lactams.
- History of gastrointestinal disease.
- Products such as denvar® must be administered with a prescription or prescription.
- Do not modify the dose recommended by your doctor, to avoid exacerbation of any secondary reaction.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions during treatment with this medicine.
- Keep this product out of the reach of children.
- It must be taken into account that in those patients with severe renal insufficiency, an adjustment in the dose must be made.
- This drug has interactions with other medications, therefore it is recommended to consult with your treating physician.