What is compound buscapina?
The compound buscapina or also known asbuscapina compositum, is a synthetic compound® drug, which includes the combination of two active ingredients that are butylbromide scopolamine (hyoscine butylbromide) and metamizole sodium, which belong to the line of drugs with antispasmodic and analgesic effect on the gastrointestinal, biliary and genitourinary tract.
To highlight: This pharmaceutical product is patented by the company namedSanofi – aventis, S. A. (1)
What is compound buscapina for?
- Compound® buscapin is a medicine that is made torelieve pain, fever and spasms, with action on the smooth muscle of the organs of the digestive, biliary, renal and genitourinary tracts, due to some conditions that occur in these organs.
- It is used to treat:
Dosage and routes of administration of compound buscapin
The presentation of compuesto buscapina® is in tablets,composed of 10 mg of scopolamine butylbromide and 250 mg of metamizole sodium. The method of administration is orally.
It is also marketed as an injectable solution in 5 mL ampoules with 0.02 g of scopolamine butylbromide and 2.5 g of sodium metamizole with a slow intravenous or intramuscular route of administration. The Dosageaccording to its data sheet and medical indications may be as follows:
- Tablets: Adults 1-2 tablets, 3 times a day with water without chewing.
- Injectable solution: Adults, a single parenteral dose of metamizole of 500-1,000 mg up to 4 times a day, at 6-8 intervals or according to medical recommendation.
Compound Buscopan Side Effects
Compound Buscopine® can cause certain Adverse reactions in some patients, such as the following:
- Adverse reactions to contact with any of the components of this medication.
- Hematological reactions such as agranulocytosis or pancytopenia.
- Nausea, vomiting , or fever may occur .
- Arterial hypotension.
- dry mouth
- Acute renal failure.
- Increased eye pressure.
Important: If any of these symptoms or any other symptoms not included in the list appear, discontinue use and notify your doctor immediately.
Contraindications and Warnings of Buscopan Compound
Treatment with compound buscopan® is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of this medication.
- Myasthenia gravis (acute muscle weakness and fatigue).
- Patients with impaired bone marrow function.
- patient with narrow-angle glaucoma.
- During the third trimester of pregnancy.
- During breastfeeding .
You should know: Before starting treatment with this drug, it is important that you provide detailed information about your health history to your doctor.
Avoid if you have:
- Paralytic or obstructive ileus.
- Signs of acute intermittent hepatic porphyria.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Medications such as buscopan compound®, can reduce the antiplatelet effect of acetylsalicylic acid .
- Its use is not recommended in patients under 18 years of age.
- It should not be administered without a prescription.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Consult the technical data sheet of this medicine at all times, before starting treatment with it.
University Professional in the area of Human Resources, Postgraduate in Occupational Health and Hygiene of the Work Environment, 14 years of experience in the area of health. Interested in topics of Psychology, Occupational Health, and General Medicine.