What is budesonide?
Budesonide is a chemical present in generic and commercial drugs, which have anti-inflammatory and anti-immunosuppressive characteristics , acting more precisely on the airways of the lungs in the human body.
What is budesonide used for?
- Budesonide is part of the group of glucocorticoid substances (which reduce inflammatory and even allergic effects or symptoms), which has a direct mechanism of action by inhibiting the process of inflammatory cells that act directly on the lung, precisely in the pathways breathing during certain cases.
- It is used to treat:
- Chronic lung disease.
- Allergic rhinitis.
Dosage and routes of administration of budesonide
Budesonide comes in numerous commercial presentations , such as inhalation suspension, nebulizer liquid, extended-release tablets, powder, and even aerosol, with the main route of administration being oral . The doses in the form of budesonide capsules are as follows:
- Adults: It is recommended to administer 1 tablet a day, especially in the morning with a duration of 8 weeks in treatment.
Note: In the pediatric population, budesonide in the form of inhalers or nebulizers is recommended.
What products contain budesonide?
Some of the medicines that contain budesonide are:
- Bentabud® belongs to the line of medical products produced and distributed by Sandoz laboratories .
- Its presentation is in the form of drops or suspensions that are applied mainly in the nostrils .
- It is used to directly treat perennial rhinitis, allergic or seasonal rhinitis, as well as vasomotor rhinitis .
- Libonide® is a commercial drug, which is mainly manufactured and distributed by PiSA laboratories .
- It is sold in the presentation of bottles, with solutions used for nebulizers and can be administered effectively in children.
- It is recommended to treat asthma problems or attacks .
- Miflonide® belongs to the line of glucocorticoid medical products from Novartis laboratories .
- It is commonly presented in the form of boxed capsules , and is also applicable to children over 6 years of age.
- It is prescribed for bronchial asthma, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and bronchitis .
- Pulmicort® is a commercial drug that belongs to the group of glucocorticoids from AstraZeneca laboratories .
- It is also presented in the form of sachets with solutions , which are used for nebulizers.
- It is recommended for the treatment of bronchial asthma and inflammation that occurs in the airways of the lung.
side effects of budesonide
Budesonide, like other drugs with glucocorticoid metabolites, brings a series of adverse effects which each patient must know and be previously warned about. Among these stand out:
- Irritation in the throat.
Important: If you experience such adverse effects with the administration of this drug, it is advisable to discontinue its use and see a doctor.
Contraindications and warnings of budesonide
Budesonide is not indicated for certain patients, so that commercial drugs containing it do not have a negative interaction with respect to the health of the subjects under treatment. Therefore, it is not recommended in these cases:
- Hypersensitivity to active metabolites.
- asthmatic status.
- Bacterial infection.
Avoid it if you have:
- active herpes.
- Tuberculosis activa.
- Chicken pox.
- It is preferable to use drugs with budesonide under a doctor’s prescription.
- Keep the drug out of the reach of children.
- Keep the medicine sealed in dry places.
- To prevent product deterioration, store at room temperature.